Shooting bench & platform

/ Shooting bench & platform #1  

CMV

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HST (previous LS XJ2025H, JD 500C)
My land/range has an elevation change about midway so I need to be elevated to "shoot down" at the 300 yd berm. Otherwise would have had to build that berm 15' high. Anyway, making a platform to shoot from was much simpler solution. Version 1.0 lasted several years but was too small, a little wobbly, and just not done right the first time overall. So this weekend made a new platform and a new shooting bench. The bench just sits there so I can grab it with pallet forks and move it around if I want to shoot from a bench at some distance other than 300 yds. But still heavy enough to be pretty solid - not as solid as concrete or with legs set in concrete, but sturdy enough for my needs. Turned out well, but I need stiffen it up a little. Side to side, it's solid, front to back, has a little movement. Makes sense due to the direction of the wood and all the deck boards tying the top together that run side to side.

Other than sheathing the sides with plywood, what would make it more stable front-back? It is basically 4x 4-ft walls made from 2x4 on 24" centers. Those are spaced 32" apart. Tied together with 2x4 and the top is 5/4x6 decking. The pic with the orange stars shows where the pieces are that stabilize it front-back. Do I just need to simply add more? Or do I need diagonals running that direction? It's not "wobbly" and I don't feel like it's swaying about when I'm up there. But If I try to rock it side-side it just doesn't move, front-back it will a little.

This is all wet pressure treated lumber. How long do I need to wait before staining or sealing it? Every board seemed a little different, but many squirted lots of fluid just driving deck screws so assume it has to dry out a good bit before trying to stain or seal it.

20181007_190614.jpg
20181007_190557.jpg
20181007_190545.jpg
20181007_190534.jpg
20181007_190518.jpg
20181007_190500.jpg
20181007_190440.jpg
20181007_190415.jpg

/ Shooting bench & platform #2  
Good grief - - open the front on that "shooting platform" and you have a good start to a substantial storage shed. To stiffen the shooting table - front to back - need front to back angle bracing of some type. From up under the fascia board on the front - down to the center leg back on the butt rest portion. A doubled up 2x4 would look right in place and give good support.

For that matter - you might want to go with an "X" pattern under the table for ultimate stiffness.

Somebody is a fine carpenter. I know families whose furniture is not as nice as that shooting table.

As far as staining/sealing - take a short chunk of that material used for the top of the shooting table. Set it out on your porch - where you can easily get to it and check it. Check it on a routine basis - you will know when the time is right.

Some will say wait a year. I prefer to check frequently and catch it before it becomes bone dry and starts to crack and weather.

That is one MIGHTY shooting platform and table.

/ Shooting bench & platform #3  
Nice bench;
I would add some eye bolts (6) top and bottom of the front and rear center leg.
Then use heavy smooth wire or cable with turnbuckles to preload the legs in an X,
that should take any wobble out and allow for further tensioning or relocating.
Also in the lower section (8).

/ Shooting bench & platform #4  
The last shooting bench I did. This is my neighbor's bench. I did the concrete table top, he did the treated wood work.

40Ym27m.jpg

dZtcUsf.jpg

zWLchlQ.jpg

In a tub soaking up some water after I pulled it from the form. It stayed in the water about 3-4 days.

3PDdKgr.jpg

/ Shooting bench & platform #5  
To stiffen any platform diagonals are needed. The strongest form is the triangle, not the rectangle. Since all the support pieces are 2x4s, all you should have to do is add a 2x4 diagonally in the direction it wiggles (top front to bottom back - or - bottom front to top back) and I'd fasten it to all the vertical boards it crosses as well which will help stiffen the diagonal brace (you probably only need one).

By the way, that is a really nice platform.

/ Shooting bench & platform #6  
As far as staining/sealing - take a short chunk of that material used for the top of the shooting table. Set it out on your porch - where you can easily get to it and check it. Check it on a routine basis - you will know when the time is right.

IF this was not out in the weather, one method to check for dryness is to weigh the sample every week. When it stops losing weight, it's dry.

/ Shooting bench & platform #7  
Nice setup! Try *TWP in 5 gallon bucket- free shipping to your door. They make some NICE stains in a variety of colors Oil based for longevity! Or water based too.
TWP= Total Wood Protection
TWP 15 Stain
Personal choice for my decking boards/railings and entire gazebo is the California Redwood. My painter(s) really like it! You can get samples to try too for $.

/ Shooting bench & platform
Thanks. Platform is probably overbuilt - since ver 1.0 didn't do that well, wanted to avoid the issue of needing to rebuild in a few years due to poor construction.

This is the shooting table: Free Shooting Bench Plans | MyOutdoorPlans | Free Woodworking Plans and Projects, DIY Shed, Wooden Playhouse, Pergola, Bbq Very simple build but like how it turned out. I cut the legs 10" shorter since not setting in ground and substituted 5/4x6 decking for the 1x6 boards for the table top since the deck boards were cheaper. Also subbed 2x10 for 2x14 for the seats because (1) Lowe's didn't have any PT 2x14 and (2) 14" or even 12" seemed too big for a seat.

The table itself is sturdy enough as is. Was going to add a little bracing since not setting in ground/concrete, but do want to be able to lift it and move it with pallet forks and additional bracing ideas seemed like they'd either get in my way using it or lifting it.

The larger 8x8 platform is what I'm wanting to stiffen up a little more in the front-back direction (or opposite direction that the top decking boards are laid). If diagonals best, how many? Would just one ~9' diagonal along each side be fine? Or all 4 "walls" need their own?

/ Shooting bench & platform #9  
Modern methods are pressure treating wood requires a massive amount of water being forced into the wood. Each board will absorb different amounts. When I build a deck, or other outdoor structure, I tell my client to wait a minimum of 6 month before staining or painting. If you try any sooner, you risk moisture in the wood coming out and ruining your finish. Most of the time, my clients wait a full year, and then either hire me to sand all of it, or they sand it do it all themselves.

/ Shooting bench & platform #10  
Re: Shooting bench & platform

You must have had a pile of 2x4s setting around...
Big waste of materials and as you k oz, it still isnt stable. Built way wrong.
But at this point, I'd do just what you stated, buy at least two sheets of half or 3/4 plywood. Might as well buy treated. Rip lengthwise and nail or screw one 2x8 sheet near top of one side and the other low. If close to 4 ft height, just screw whole sheet on either side. Put nails or screws in top cent and bottom of each 2x4.

it wont wobble then. Like the shooting bench.

I would have built like a real deck using 2x6 or 4x4 posts. Way easier......

Finish? Use deck stain and sealer if you want. It wont really help preserve. Just change color.
And wait 2 or three months.