Shooting range

/ Shooting range #1  

gstrom99

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 855, John Deere 530R zero turn, Allis Chalmers D17 III, Ford 9N - SOLD, Kubota B1550, Yamaha Timberwolf 250, Husky saws, H & H 10k and Carry-On trailers
I moved here a year and a half ago and finally got through (most) of the "have to" projects and got to a "want to" project. I completed my shooting range the other day and tested it yesterday with my muzzy, .44 rifle and 9mm handgun. I used landscaping timbers instead of railroad ties. The RR ties are REAL heavy, even with a tractor to move, plus they chew up the saw chain when cutting. The "fill dirt" I ordered has too many little rocks, but it's too late now... From the bench (up against the pole barn), it's 70 yards.

I brought along my old shooting bench, from the land I had and sold in Indiana. I still need to solve the age old "where's all my brass" in the grass issue, when shooting the handguns. I like to be mobile, when practicing defensive handgun shooting. Don't worry, the Jeep is not there when the range is HOT.
1.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

/ Shooting range #2  
(y)(y)(y)

/ Shooting range #3  
In the line of fire, how far is your nearest neighbor? There doesn't seem to be any trees or hills down range. Not that you can't hit your target, but all it takes is one "flyer" to ruin your day.

/ Shooting range #4  
That is exactly my first reaction. A few years ago in Ohio, a teen girl was killed inside her house by a rifle round fired from a mile away that missed the target! It was flat farm country like this. I would want a much larger berm and backstop before I would feel comfortable shooting. Also that pile of dirt will settle and shrink a lot in the near future (BTDT).

/ Shooting range
Nearest house is about 3 miles, east. To the left and right, about a mile and a half, and protected by trees and my buildings/bins. I do have more dirt to add to the pile. I think I'll be using it for pistol rounds mostly.

Last edited:
   / Shooting range #6  
I wish you guys were my neighbors!!! I’ve got bullets whizzing over my head pretty much any time the neighbors are out shooting. Seems that people don’t think ricochets happen. Shooting here is a daily thing, which I have gotten used to. I am an archery hunter, but I have plenty of guns that just sit. But at first when you hear that whiz you hit the deck, now I just flinch a little. From horseback I get a little more nervous.

I think you should either go a little higher with the back stop or overhang with a piece of plywood. After a session with a .22 see if anything hit the plywood and either leave it or take it off.

/ Shooting range #7  
That is exactly my first reaction. A few years ago in Ohio, a teen girl was killed inside her house by a rifle round fired from a mile away that missed the target! It was flat farm country like this. I would want a much larger berm and backstop before I would feel comfortable shooting. Also that pile of dirt will settle and shrink a lot in the near future (BTDT).
Please link to police report on that. Most rifles will have issues traveling 1600 meters let alone penetrating a plywood, insulation, drywall and carrying enough energy to hurt someone.

/ Shooting range #8  
Please link to police report on that. Most rifles will have issues traveling 1600 meters let alone penetrating a plywood, insulation, drywall and carrying enough energy to hurt someone.

rifle-calibers-range.jpg

The link also shows pistol and revolver cartridge range.

Bruce

/ Shooting range #9  
   / Shooting range
I think you should either go a little higher with the back stop or overhang with a piece of plywood. After a session with a .22 see if anything hit the plywood and either leave it or take it off.
Good idea. I'll put a roofing panel on there. I already have a steel roofing panel on the back side, to observe if any go through.