Shooting range

/ Shooting range #21  
My range is set up in a 580 yard crater. The low part of my back stop is 23'. Army core made it for dirt they needed for roads back in the 60s. For hand gun I put big tarps down so it makes it easy to pick up all the cases.
As for the rife side I put small tarps down to catch the cases.

1022.jpeg

1022a.jpeg

1022b.jpeg

1022c.jpeg

1022d.jpeg

/ Shooting range
Mrsig: Nice setup. Looks like a fun day for all. I've used tarps like that before, which is a good way to do it on grass. I have a modified net "catcher" which attaches to the top of a camera stand, but I often like to move when shooting. I also have a modified fish/minnow net, which wraps around my wrist - works ok but not ideal.

/ Shooting range #23  
Very nice setup Sig, I use a hill for my short range backstop(100 yards) I still need to build a backstop for my 400 yard range, now that I have my backhoe moving again! Safety first!

/ Shooting range #25  
I would build a bigger stop. In 2018 we had a elderly lady got one to the head from a stray bullet while in the kitchen having coffee with her husband. I surely wouldn’t want to be the husband hearing a crack to turn and and see my wife hit the floor. Neighbors on a crossroad were shooting at berm. It’s just not worth it. Ive watched plenty of tracers to know that bullet trajectory can do some wild things and fly far further then anyone could imagine.

/ Shooting range
I would build a bigger stop. In 2018 we had a elderly lady got one to the head from a stray bullet while in the kitchen having coffee with her husband. I surely wouldn’t want to be the husband hearing a crack to turn and and see my wife hit the floor. Neighbors on a crossroad were shooting at berm. It’s just not worth it. Ive watched plenty of tracers to know that bullet trajectory can do some wild things and fly far further then anyone could imagine.
Well, I do have a bunch more dirt and wood is only a trip to the lumber yard away. Will work on it more, after winter. There are ZERO inside shooting ranges within an hours drive for me.

Anyone build an indoor range in their barn (.22lr max)?

/ Shooting range #27  
I feel you ! I used to have a nice shooting range until my township decided to put a stupid walking trail in the middle of no where. Now I have a bike path running next to and behind my field. I have plans to build a new range next year. This one will be a large 3 sided embankment.

I have seen some underground pipe ranges. But the problem with 22s is lead dust. For sure have good ventilation.

/ Shooting range
I just found out there is an indoor range an hours drive away, in Waterloo. $35/month membership, so in winter I'll have that option.

/ Shooting range #29  
even though there is at least 800' of trees behind my proposed shooting range, i wanted it to be overly protected from stray shots. i use pistols only, so have no fear of issues. i ended up using used RR ties, and glad i did. its been 9 years since i built it, and it looks the exact same. nothing has rotted and fallen apart. im just paranoid about causing any damage to anything or anybody else.

range final 5.jpg P3230275.JPG

/ Shooting range #30  
Well, I do have a bunch more dirt and wood is only a trip to the lumber yard away. Will work on it more, after winter. There are ZERO inside shooting ranges within an hours drive for me.

Anyone build an indoor range in their barn (.22lr max)?
This isn't exactly about a barn and definitely won't be a useful addition to this conversation
but I feel compelled to share
Way back in college times i visited my sister in another city
She lived in a house with other students as is typical, one of them was the kid of the owners
He got drunk that night and started doing target practice with a .22 in the basement
I was sure I was going to die that night but everyone survived