Shop Furniture

/ Shop Furniture #21  
New furniture this week was a 4 x 5 x 20" small equipment repair bench. I can't afford a lift bench, so this is a compromise. I may weld up a light duty gantry over it to pick up a riding mower to work on the deck. It sits against the wall between roll-up doors, but is moveable and can be stood up to clear floor space if I need it. Let's hear it for scrap lumber. It cost nothing but a couple of hours time.
Photo please? Sounds useful. I have to admit to using the FEL and a couple of metal stands in lieu of a lift table.

All the best,

Peter

/ Shop Furniture #22  
I was on a safety committee many years ago at the lab where I worked; you wore your safety glasses all the time. Some of the safety films we saw will make a believer out of you...like the pair of safety glasses with a nail sticking in the lens, and one pair that saved a guy from a grinding wheel that disintegrated. One fellow I worked with was hit full in the face with a blast of molten KOH (Lye) from an exploding glass viscometer; he was badly burned, but the glasses saved his eyes.

As for gloves, I would be very circumspect about using gloves when you are using a drill press. I recall a fellow who injured his hand when it wound up somehow in the bit.

/ Shop Furniture #23  
I wear a dust mask when using abrasives for cutting or grinding too. Some woods, like cedar, are nasty to inhale, so sawdust needs a dust mask.
I read an article that said all sawdust is nasty just some worse than others, I bought a heap of camphor laurel then found I couldn't work with it as I got a massive headache despite wearing a respirator, got it for a good price and had to offload it shortly afterwards.
SWMBO was gardening and was weeding around a flax plant, leaned over and the sharp spike went under her glasses and into her eye socket, very lucky to have just missed the eye, I wear a respirator when turning, glasses when drilling and earplugs when on the tractor, rarely wear a mask as I don't think they do much

/ Shop Furniture
If any of you are Harbor Freight shoppers, I just found a site where you can order direct from China. Each item has reviews, and be sure to read them. The "pure nickel strips" are actually nickel plated steel. The reviews are your friend. Some of the items are interesting, like the low cost battery powered spot welders.

/ Shop Furniture #25  
For those that have not seen it, here is My Lumber and Plywood Cart

And someone laid metal on the shelves too. :oops:
P5130013c.JPG
P5130016.JPG
P5130018.JPG

Last edited:
   / Shop Furniture #26  
And a picture showing the top shelves:

P7050003.JPG

/ Shop Furniture #27  
I made this rolling stand last year (?) as a handy item to keep the most used tools (mostly rulers, squares, pencils, etc) and any plans, documents, notes, etc I need for what I am working on. Rolls around with 4 swivel casters and has 2 locking ones, although I find I never lock them. The pivot for the table top is super overkill, but it was easy to make with the very limited tools I had on hand at the time. A little bit of "machining" and a little bit of welding.

Rolling stand (1) (Large).jpg

Rolling stand (4) (Large).jpg

Rolling stand (2) (Large).jpg

Rolling stand (3) (Large).jpg

/ Shop Furniture #28  
My shop is in my log cabin. Long ago I built a work table. Two by twelve oak planks - dowelled and glued together. Built in-place because it ended up being so darn heavy.

Most all my collection of "must have" tools are in this shop.
IMG_0013.jpeg

/ Shop Furniture #29  
Wow, that is some grapple @oosik! What does it weigh?

All the best,

Peter

/ Shop Furniture #30  
Wow, that is some grapple @oosik! What does it weigh?

All the best,

Peter
It's a Land Pride SGC 1560 - 820#. Designed and built for primary use on a skid steer. I mainly lift uber heavy rocks and chunks of pine tree trunk. Never lift anything really heavy very high. Staying low with a load - I can easily lift/move 3000 pounds.

Everybody's shops are so clean. Mine - covered with sawdust most everywhere. One of these days - I'll vacuum.

Around here there is alway the problem with mice and Hantavirus. It is normally a deadly virus - take care with your dust in your shop.