Shop Heater

/ Shop Heater #1  

puttering

Tractor
2007 Kubota 3400HST
I have a 30x40 insulated shop with no natural gas. Anyone have good experience with a specific LP or electric heater that won't cost an arm and a leg to purchase and operate? Thanks!

/ Shop Heater #2  
Rinnai LP heaters are good modulating heaters that are efficient but are $2K range depending on size. Less expensive LP heaters are the ceiling Modine or similar units at Northern Tool for $3-600 range.

Depends on your climate / location and BTU load - if you just want to take the chill off say to 55* and you have temps in the 30-40's you dont need a lot of BTU's.

Another choice is a Mini Split Heat pump - 12-18000 BTU are very efficient and easy to install, and can provide AC in the summer too.

/ Shop Heater #3  
Rinnai LP heaters are good modulating heaters that are efficient but are $2K range depending on size. Less expensive LP heaters are the ceiling Modine or similar units at Northern Tool for $3-600 range.

Depends on your climate / location and BTU load - if you just want to take the chill off say to 55* and you have temps in the 30-40's you dont need a lot of BTU's.

Another choice is a Mini Split Heat pump - 12-18000 BTU are very efficient and easy to install, and can provide AC in the summer too.

check out Mr cool mini splits affordable and come pre charged do it yourself install super easy to install

/ Shop Heater #4  
Second on the Mr Cool. I have their 36k btu unit in my 40x60x14 pretty well insulated shop. It maintains 62-65F relatively easily in sub 32F outside temperatures.

I am adding a freestanding LP direct vent fireplace for boost heat and ambience- you got to have ambience in your shop

/ Shop Heater #5  
look at the efficiency ratings. the cheaper the unit the less efficient it will operate. wont take too long to cost you more out of pocket with high fuel usage than you saved buying a cheapo unit. i cant ever find efficiency data on Mr Heater units, and i have been told that there below 80% by ac installers. the Modine units range around 93-95% efficient.

/ Shop Heater #6  
I have several MR heater units, One used to be in a mobile home at my farm , It was a 12x 60 and would run you out on the low setting, I have got rid of the trailer and built a 28x36 house and it works well there also. I am getting a 28x35 metal garage installed and might put one in there as well. I picked one up at lowes last yr after winter marked down to 30 bucks. Not sure how efficient they are but they heat very well.

/ Shop Heater #7  
A natural gas service man and I figured it out once in the difference between what I was using now in gas with my 1960's furnace (60-70%) vs buying and installing a new mid efficiency furnace (90-95%) at $4000. Considering that the new furnaces need to be replaced about every 5-10 years there is no way that I could ever pay for a new furnace in gas costs alone. So we decided to leave my furnace the way it is. The bonus is that it's still an old millivolt system and will cycle the furnace on and off even with no power so I don't have to be concerned with my house freezing up during a power outage.

/ Shop Heater #8  
A natural gas service man and I figured it out once in the difference between what I was using now in gas with my 1960's furnace (60-70%) vs buying and installing a new mid efficiency furnace (90-95%) at $4000. Considering that the new furnaces need to be replaced about every 5-10 years there is no way that I could ever pay for a new furnace in gas costs alone. So we decided to leave my furnace the way it is. The bonus is that it's still an old millivolt system and will cycle the furnace on and off even with no power so I don't have to be concerned with my house freezing up during a power outage.
Confused. Is there no circulating fan in the heater?

/ Shop Heater #9  
I had a Modine heater that hung down from the ceiling. It ran on natural gas but they also make propane models. Wall mounted thermostat. It was an excellent heater. I kept the garage/shop at about 50 in the winter. Took about 15 minuets to bring the temperature up to 68 to 72. I really can't remember how much it cost. Built to last a lifetime.

/ Shop Heater #10  

I would stop listening to who ever told you that. It's pure rubbish.