shop tumbler.

/ shop tumbler. #1  

1950T

Silver Member
Tractor
oliver 1950T international 1066 ford 9000 plus many many more
anyone ever built a shop tumbler from a steel or poly drum? ive been toying with the idea of building one to tumble burnish/polish forged items and horseshoes and such. anyone have any ideas? the local welding shop has one made from a cub rear old beer keg and a 3/4 hp electric motor with a pitman drive. its a noisy bastard tho

/ shop tumbler. #2  
It wouldn't be hard to do. I don't think there is any way around it being noisy. Once place I worked, we had a wheel abrader which basically was a tumbler made of expanded metal with a wheel under it that threw steel shot at it. That sucker was NOISY.

Not sure what speed you would want it to turn, but I would guess that once you spin it fast enough to be effective, it will be noisy. Perhaps you could wrap the drum in insulation of some sort or spray it with bedliner to lessen the drum effect.

/ shop tumbler.
dosnt need to turn insanely fast. 40-50 r's a min should be more than enough. material removal isant the goal here. tumbling media will be extruded ceramic triangles in green grit and walnut shells.

/ shop tumbler. #4  
go around and see if anyone is throwing away an old dryer.....perfect set up put it on no heat and you are good to go...just check on the size of the holes if there are any in the tub, and buy the next size up ball bearing. I saw some people who tumble silver jewerly to add a nice finish to it.

/ shop tumbler. #5  
Just use a cement mixer and sand. Tried this years ago to clean out a cement mixer that was caked in dried cement. Threw some chunks of scrap iron in and it cleaned the mixer and the scrap iron. Don't know about the durability as I didn't use it all that much. It was noisy also.

/ shop tumbler. #6  
Some time ago I met a guy that was into rock polishing. For his tumbler, he used an electric cement mixer.

Maybe this might work for you ?

/ shop tumbler. #7  
Depending on what you want to polish or clean, a 1 gallon plastic bucket with snap on lid up through the 5 gallon size can be purchased at a hardware store usually.

Rig up a small motor to turn the "drum" on some simple rollers- add some baffles inside to allow the contents to 'tumble" and it should work.

I've been playing with this idea to clean up magnetic screw driver tips that get rusty, along with smaller parts and tools. Harbor Freight sells different media, including the ceramic cones- at a reasonable price.

The RPM doesn't need to be fast- the friction of the media against the objects is what does the polishing.

/ shop tumbler. #8  
Look around at used equipment sellers there are often vibratory polishers for sale. Seeing one work will let you know how much it really takes to shake & clean parts.

Mark

/ shop tumbler. #9  
Where I used to work a toy factory one of the fellows had a cement mixer removed the baffles and used stick it type sandpaper discs stuck them to the perimeter of the drum.The one we had was a 44 gallon drum with home made wooden pulleys rigged to a small motor used to throw all the offcuts in and all the old sandpaper as well made great kids building blocks.Finish off chuck in a couple of bocks of beeswax and let it tumble