Shopping for used pressure washer

/ Shopping for used pressure washer #1  

prichard

Veteran Member
Tractor
B2601 FEL
I'd like to find a decent used unit. I have looked at all the <$400 units and are all plastic axial pumps. I'd like a brass triplex but they are spendy.

I found a used unit with Honda industrial motor and brass triplex pump for $250. The concern is it was a Home Depot rental unit. So, it has been abused most likely but I'm thinking it is likely a $1000+ unit.

What should I look for? Is this a good idea or bad? Is this a good price?

/ Shopping for used pressure washer #2  
I bought a cheap 2600 psi unit of CL a few years back that has a 5.5 Honda engine for $25. I see these all the time since the unloader valves are plastic junk. It had an aluminum body pump with a frozen, plastic, unloader valve. Bought a brand new aluminum body 2900 PSI pump with a brass unloader valve off that auction site for $65 shipped. I have $90 in it and it has served me for 3 years so far.

/ Shopping for used pressure washer
Nice deal. Around here people are trying to get almost new prices for beat up crap on CL.

I think I'll go look at that one tomorrow.

/ Shopping for used pressure washer #4  
Last summer, as my daughter and I were headed down the road to visit our aunt and uncle (who live on the far end of our farm) on our bikes, I noticed a couple items the neighbor across the road had placed out for garbage pickup. There was a Homelite, 3100 psi washer with Honda GVC 190 engine and a Husky portable 120 volt air-compressor. As we were visiting, I could not stop thinking about that stuff, so we cut our visit short. My daughter wheeled the compressor home while I took the slightly larger pressure washer and a few hockey sticks. The compressor had a frayed cord, which I wrapped with a little electric tape. It worked well when I plugged it in, and I still use it quite often. It is nice having one in the garage up at our house and not needing to run out to the barn whenever I need air.

The power washer was missing a nozzle and an air filter. My brother gave me an extra, adjustable nozzle that he no longer used, and the air filter that was on my log splitter fit perfectly on the power washer. The high-pressure hose that came with the washer was plugged, but I was able to clean it out by removing the end fitting, reversing the hose, and starting it up. I put it all back together and it has worked good ever since (too good in a few cases).

This powerwasher is extremely powerful and I would advise caution if you get a high pressure unit such as this. With the nozzle on high. pencil position, it will take the paint off my truck. It blasted a small hole thru the vinyl seat on my largest tractor, and did some damage to the drive belts on the mower deck on my smallest one. It does a great job cleaning the siding on the house and the deck, and makes very short work of cleaning the matted grass off the bottom of mower decks. It really takes mud and dirt off of trucks and farm equipment fast. I even used it to do a "European mount" on a whitetail buck skull last fall. It only took about 20 minutes to blast that fresh-killed skull clean. In spite of the little damage it caused, I can't complain because I only have about $15 into that power washer. That is what Amazon charged for an air filter and cover.

/ Shopping for used pressure washer #5  
I wish you were closer,, I have a 10HP Honda powered one,,, belt drive.
It served me perfectly for a decade.

For some reason, it quit making pressure. :confused2:
My nephew gave me an 11HP Honda powered direct drive,, I have no reason to "fix" the 10HP.

I would sell it for the value of a used engine,,, and the hose.
Virginia is probably out of your travel range,,, :confused:

/ Shopping for used pressure washer
I bought it. I figured new would be about a grand so..

1472946912213.jpg
1472947011549.jpg1472947035617.jpg