Short Term Tractor Purchase

/ Short Term Tractor Purchase #41  
Without reading past about post #20; the major issue is going to be staging/debris piles as you work. Any small tractor, skid steer, or micro-walk behind skid steer will be fine, but it takes some skill/experience to be able to figure out your order of operations, so your demo debris (brush, the gravel, old sod, ect) doesn't get in your way, and will probably need hauled off. I personally think a small loader tractor, or a walk behind tracked skid steer, and more importantly, dump trailer/roll off dumpster/dump truck; will do want you need.

You did mention regrassing; your going to have trouble lifting pallets of sod, with something small, if that's in your plans.

/ Short Term Tractor Purchase #42  
It sounds to me like a few weeks rental would be the way to go. Even hiring it out wouldn't be that bad. Figure that while you're working on the property, you're not doing whatever it is that actually makes you money.

/ Short Term Tractor Purchase #43  
Unless you are poor, you will find the tractor and loader to be quite useful for the rest of your life. One would suggest not being frugal and finding a quality truly competent tractor and loader... have a competent rebuild if appropriate. Your life will take on a new dimension of competence. Many of the older tractors without cabs are extremely well built and can do all the overly complicated new ones do and last through your grandkids lives. This group can then give you pros and cons on units that you are considering.

/ Short Term Tractor Purchase #44  
I have kind of a weird situation. I need a compact loader tractor to do a bunch of work on a neglected property that I purchased, but once that work is done I won't really need the loader anymore. Therefore, I am thinking about buying a used tractor this spring, using it all summer, and then either selling it in the fall or next spring. I am looking at used, since I don't want to take the depreciation on a new tractor for such a short term need. It needs to be a model that has decent resale potential, so I am kind of leaning away from the off-brands, even though I know people love some of them. I am looking at a Deere 1025R, Kubota BX2680, or similar. I deck would be nice but not necessary since I have a Deere GX345 for mowing. Any suggestions as to what models or manufacturers I should include in my search? Thanks, Joe
Once you get a tractor with a loader you won’t want to let it go. I have a kubota 1860 with a loader, great around the yard and in small spaces. I also have a John Deere 3032e. For the money the 3032e can’t be beat. I have clamp on forks for the bucket, it is great for moving brush, dirt etc. I have a good friend that does site work with all kinds of equipment, he is amazed at what the 3032e will do. Good luck

/ Short Term Tractor Purchase #45  
Here are more specifics about my needs:

It is a half acre residential lot in town. 1) There are quite a number of overgrown scrubby bushes that I don't want to hand dig out. 2) I need to plant 45 arborvitae trees along one of the property lines, and would like a post hole digger to help dig those holes. 3) there is a large, 1000 square feet area of the yard that is gravel, I want to remove the gravel and plant grass. 4) there are three areas that are currently dirt/gravel, maybe a combined 1,000 ft², where I want to pour concrete, so I need the tractor to remove the existing dirt and gravel, and move in clean gravel to compact for under the concrete. What's the bushes are removed, the trees are planted, the grass is planted, and the concrete is poured, I don't anticipate needing a loader tractor after that.
I bought a 2008 Kubota 7800 (830 hrs) and can sell it easily at any time. In fact the dealer offered to give me $8000. more then I paid for it 10 months after I purchased it.

/ Short Term Tractor Purchase #46  
I have kind of a weird situation. I need a compact loader tractor to do a bunch of work on a neglected property that I purchased, but once that work is done I won't really need the loader anymore. Therefore, I am thinking about buying a used tractor this spring, using it all summer, and then either selling it in the fall or next spring. I am looking at used, since I don't want to take the depreciation on a new tractor for such a short term need. It needs to be a model that has decent resale potential, so I am kind of leaning away from the off-brands, even though I know people love some of them. I am looking at a Deere 1025R, Kubota BX2680, or similar. I deck would be nice but not necessary since I have a Deere GX345 for mowing. Any suggestions as to what models or manufacturers I should include in my search? Thanks, Joe
Once you own a good tractor, you will never sell it. Plan accordingly! I always say - everything I own is for sale except for my wife and my tractor, and I’m not so sure about the wife these days!

/ Short Term Tractor Purchase #47  
Attached is the rental price sheet for Home Depot for a Kubota B26/JD2032 with loader and back hoe. One month of rent is $2700 before any insurance fees. Let's say this project takes 6 weeks, as it's not your day job, you're probably around $3500 in rental, and you have no asset afterward. Remember, you might have it on rent and the time, but you might be waiting on weather, concrete, etc. I would either plan a 5 day working vacation and try to get the heavy stuff done on a 7 day rent, or look for a $8000-12000 machine, and resell, hopefully losing around $1-2k maybe, unless you really tear it up.
Screenshot_20230325_132425_Chrome.jpg

/ Short Term Tractor Purchase #48  
Get a used backhoe. It will do real work compared to a small tractor. Then they always have good resale value.

/ Short Term Tractor Purchase #49  

/ Short Term Tractor Purchase #50  
I bought a new tractor. Used it two years. The prices of everything kept going up. I sold it for what I paid for it when I sold it. Biggest mistake I ever made. I didn't realize how much I would miss my tractor so I bought a new one but had to pay today's inflated prices. I will never be without a tractor again .EVER!!!!