Shortening hydraulic top link

/ Shortening hydraulic top link #1  

puckgrinder85

Platinum Member
Tractor
'13 Yanmar Lx4100
Hey guys, got a different tractor and it looks like it may need a shorter top link, not by much though, an inch or two at the most will give me sufficient movement I want. Anyway, I have a hydraulic top link now, however the stroke doesn't use the whole rod end. What I mean is, in its fully compressed state I have 4-5 inches of chrome shaft still showing, thought that was a bit weird when I bought it but whatever. What my question is, couldn't I just cut the ball clevis off the end, cut the amount I want off and reweld the joint back on and be good to go?

/ Shortening hydraulic top link #2  
Yes, you can do that.

/ Shortening hydraulic top link #3  
Make sure to protect the shaft so it doesn't get weld splatter on it, or it will make the seal leak.

/ Shortening hydraulic top link #4  
Watch out for heat transfer also extend shaft as far as possible and wrap wet rags around it to try and keep it cool to protect seals or disassemble it.

/ Shortening hydraulic top link
Sounds good, yes I definitely thought about heat transfer, not the spatter though so good call on that.

/ Shortening hydraulic top link
Just for future reference, I called my hydraulic buddy who I totally forgot about before I asked this question here. Anyway he says yes I can do it that way but the full on correct way is to pull it all apart, cut the rod completely true on both ends, center drill the rod and the other end to be mated and put a small dowel in and reweld. He said its paramount to have the end completely straight with the rod or it can induce a bending point. He said for my application and pretty low forces just cutting them square as possible should be fine.