Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #141  
Question: does your car or truck with a/c fog up
the windows??? You turn on the a/c to unfog the
windows as the a/c will remove the moisture!
If its hard to get off a tractor with no cab it will be
the same as with a cab. The doors on the cab on
the newer tractors do not restrict entry or exit. Just
ask all the guys with cabs!

willy

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #142  
You asked the wrong question. You are getting a cab. You should have asked how much money will I lose when I have to sell this non-cab tractor to undo the mistake of not getting one to start with. Here is the truth. Life is short, too short to spend five years in the bugs, wasp, dust, yellowjackets, ground bumbles, ant swarms, termite clouds, biting spider webs, poison spray drift, dust and heat. So get the freaking cab. And get a loader. And go ahead and get a grapple with third function. Then thank me later! And enjoy this short life. And anybody who disagrees is just voicing how much they love the heat and all that other crap to make themselves feel better about having a cabless tractor. It's the same with someone who just had neck surgery. The first few years they have to say it worked and they are glad they did it. Because to admit otherwise to themselves is devastating. But ask them 10 years, 15 years later, after their third neck surgery. The honest ones will tell you it was a mistake. So get a cab and skip the surgery unless you lose feeling in your arm. But mostly just get a cab. And the loader with the grapple

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #143  
I like Wolc's setup. I'm reluctant to go the cab route, because I like to be in touch with what is happening around the tractor. Am I hitting something? Am I getting a flat? Is my machine making funny noises? The race car drivers call it "situational awareness". But if I had to work in miserable conditions, I would get a cab.

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #144  
I like Wolc's setup. I'm reluctant to go the cab route, because I like to be in touch with what is happening around the tractor. Am I hitting something? Am I getting a flat? Is my machine making funny noises? The race car drivers call it "situational awareness". But if I had to work in miserable conditions, I would get a cab.
I used an open station tractor for 2 years in upstate NY, for bush hogging 25 acres in mid summer. The following year, I got a different tractor with a big, rectangular fiberglass canopy. That made a huge difference out there under the hot sun. I would never again do that job without a canopy.

Almost half of my acreage is wooded and the front corners of that big rigid canopy got a little busted up over the 10 years I ran it. When I replaced that tractor with a larger, new open station, the first thing I did was make a canopy for it.

I made it just about the same area as the big rectangular fiberglass one, but tapered towards the front. I also made it a lot lighter, so that I could easily remove it when I go in the woods or for winter snow work when I like to fit into s standard 7 ft overhead door with my rops folded down.

My main reason for no cab is that I actually like being outside, here where it rarely exceeds 80 degrees, even on the summer. I like the breathing that cold crisis air in the winter even better. I dont blame you folks who are stuck living down below the Mason Dixon line one bit for liking your AC cabs, or you the folks further north who dont like the cold.

Where I am, an easy on easy off canopy is just right and I wouldn't have it any other way.

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy
OP announced 40 or so posts back that he bought a cabbed tractor.
It's still been a very informative thread for me and I appreciate all the opinion.

Plus I was hoping this would make it to 200 posts 👍😂

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #147  
Lol. Number 148 right here

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #149  
Well, I do not have a ton of yrs on a tractor - however, I actually have just purchased my first tractor - I too was cab vs open station, oh I was POSITIVE I would buy nothing but a cab model, after all, I would be putting a fair amount of hours in winter weather clearing snow with a snowblower (Frt mount) - been doing it for the past 10 winters on an opencab lawn-mower tractor so I knew I wanted to get rid of the blowing snow in the face situation. Well when it came down to the purchase time, low and behold I found a great deal on a used 24PTO /30ENG HP New Holland (a brand I hadn't even been looking at as the nearest dealer is in the next province (I live in New Brunswick Canada (have all the seasons too, along with tons of bugs)). So anyway, the NH came with a cab, not a factory one, but rather an aftermarket (sort of a canvass) framing and covering. My first summer of running it, I had removed the doors for the air-flow and put them back on for the winter. Thru the winter, I had been watching a vid on YouTube and the fella suggested that an open cab for a first time owner is extremely advantageous as it will allow you (and I) full view around the tractor - most specifically where the tires contact!!! He suggested that it greatly enhances our learning of the capabilities, the limits and just where it is on the ground in relation to obstacles.

I know pretty long winded - but anyway, this summer (well spring so far), I removed the cab material and left the canopy on. Within the first hour of operating the tractor in this configuration, I was sold on opencab!!! In all honesty, the open cab is a pleasure to open from, however, is it ever nice to know I have the cab to be reinstalled for the winter. So the video recommendation was certainly right (IMO) and I do not foresee "wishing" I had a cab to avoid the bugs (Watkins Bug Cream and good for 6 hours!! LOL).

If you buy a cab model, it is a lot of work to remove it (if there was a desire to) and just the opposite if you buy an opencab and get an aftermarket structure and material to cab it in for the winter - a canopy is a must as it lessens the sun beaming on ya for the hours of mowing and/or working the tractor in the rain!!

I sure hope this input/feedback helps - cheers

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #150  
I went cab after using an open station for 2 years. No way I'd go back. lol As far as trees are concerned, get a good pole saw and keep the trees limbed up. Unless you have many acres of trees it's not that difficult. Keeping cool, out of the dust and away from the stinging insects, being able to work in light rain, etc. all make the tractor far more versatile with a cab. Part of our property is 70+ acres of natual growth pines. I definitely like the cab far better even in that environment. It's so much easier to work when you are comfortable. It's still work but why make it hard?

It's interesting for me to read about cabs being hard go get into when mine is much easier than the same model non-cab version. My cab has grab bars that allow me to pull myself up as I step up. Far easier than the open station for me to get in and out. If I had to be up and down every 5 minutes, maybe I would think differently but I doubt it. I'd rather it take me a bit longer and be able to ride in my AC, with air-ride seat and a wall of glass view of the dust and bugs.

You will not regret the cab but you might regret NOT getting a cab and then you have to trade in and buy a new one. A factory cab is the only way to go.