Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #221  
I've been out here 40+ years now. Only had open station tractors. First - Ford 1700 4WD, now Kubota M6040 4WD. I've helped my neighbor and driven one of his large ( 400+ hp ) cabbed tractors. I DO NOT like cabbed tractors. It's like sitting in a mobile hot house with the AC freezing the sweat on your body. Besides - when it gets hot here, the humidity will be less than 15% and usually less than 10%. The cab restricts my view and after a half hour or less - the dust covers every inch of the glass.

In those plowing conditions - give me an open station and an effective dust mask. JMHO

A picture of my "ride" ........
IMG_0009.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #222  
I debated over this for a while before I bought my tractor. It was going to be used mostly in the woods so I was leaning towards an open. After I got the quotes I decided to get a cab. I also purchased a tree saw and trimmed the low hanging branches. I am glad that I got a cab. the winter plowing is nice and warm. Summer mowing we have deer and horseflies bouncing off the windows,also dust and mowing debris are kept out. Another reason for me is to keep the weather off of the seat and all of the electrical items . Last weekend I was mowing along listening to the radio and I started to hear a noise and realized it was pouring rain and not a drop on me

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #223  
I mow with my JD X570 and get more than enough dust/dirt - @#$% pocket gopher mounds. I don't mow grass or plow dirt with the M6040. So no need for a cab.

BUT - I'd probably be singing a different song if I had to mow/plow with the M6040. Hopefully there would be cabs for smaller tractors, like mine, that aren't so much like a hot house.

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #224  
IMHO a wood stove is the best heat you can get as it
produces heat constantly I don't like forced air heat
it cools off then its hot then cool bummer!
When we lived in Wisconsin our gas & electric bill
was $210 month many many years ago and when
we used the wood stove we paid $10 month.
and that's 45 years ago my how time flies!
The open face lets you see the wood burn almost
like having a camp fire in the house. Also some
wood stoves you can cook on them. In my work shop
always have the pot on the stove for something hot
to drink when coming in from the cold. I miss the
clear water lakes in Wisconsin really enjoyed the
fishing as its so relaxing in a boat! Take Care

willy

Last edited:
   / Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #225  
IMHO a wood stove is the best heat you can get as it
produces heat constantly I don't like forced air heat
it cools off then its hot then cool bummer!
When we lived in Wisconsin our gas & electric bill
was $210 month many many years ago and when
we used the wood stove we paid $10 month.
and that's 45 years ago my how time flies!
The open face lets you see the wood burn almost
like having a camp fire in the house. Also some
wood stoves you can cook on them. In my work shop
always have the pot on the stove for something hot
to drink when coming in from the cold. I miss the
clear water lakes in Wisconsin really enjoyed the
fishing as its so relaxing in a boat! Take Carea

willy
Well that's nice.
Whata you think about a cab on a tractor?

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #227  
My opinion on a cab for a tractor is I will
be getting my tractor the Yanmar YT235C
tomorrow with cab, bucket, backhoe,tiller and
brush hog and I will really enjoy the cab!

willy

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #228  

willy
That is good news Willy! I know you have been waiting a while for this day. Enjoy

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #229  

willy
That's a nice unit.
I like Yanmar stuff.
One of the best diesels.

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #230  
I am very close to buying my first tractor. One of the last decisions I need to make is if I should get the cab version or not. I currently live in FL and the endless summer is brutal and the AC seems inviting. Problem is I am moving to middle TN and not sure if the cab is needed as much there. I know it gets colder and I know there are seasons and it is something I have not experienced in 30 years.

I am a little worried about the cab height and how it might limit the places the tractor can go. I also know most of the time will be spent with the rotary cutter in the open areas. I don't think I will be crashing through the woods with the tractor but I don't want to limit to much where I can go. I guess I am in kinda a chicken / egg situation. I need a tractor but I am not sure exactly what I will be doing yet except mowing the open spaces. I would love to hear opinions.
Just a cover over my head helps me greatly, I would consider a a/c cooled cab of I was going to be on the tractor long days for long periods of there are hornets in the area or killer bees and these new murder wasp. After all who want to get murdered by wasp.