Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #1  

Number15

Gold Member
Tractor
AC 7600 TTR, Branson 5520CH, Grasshopper 928D2
I am very close to buying my first tractor. One of the last decisions I need to make is if I should get the cab version or not. I currently live in FL and the endless summer is brutal and the AC seems inviting. Problem is I am moving to middle TN and not sure if the cab is needed as much there. I know it gets colder and I know there are seasons and it is something I have not experienced in 30 years.

I am a little worried about the cab height and how it might limit the places the tractor can go. I also know most of the time will be spent with the rotary cutter in the open areas. I don't think I will be crashing through the woods with the tractor but I don't want to limit to much where I can go. I guess I am in kinda a chicken / egg situation. I need a tractor but I am not sure exactly what I will be doing yet except mowing the open spaces. I would love to hear opinions.

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #2  
Yes, TN gets cold. It also gets very hot and humid. It also has bugs. Lots of them. A cab would help solve a lot of that. As far as going thru the woods, your ROPS is going to hang up on the tree branches too, or were you planning to not have it up? Trim the trees to get under them or stay out of the woods. For mowing open areas if you like heat and humidity and the sun beating down on your head be sure to get the ROPS model.

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #3  
Since you're not sure how well you'll adapt to the different seasons there, maybe wait until after you move and get a chance to experience the weather there?

It may be easier to move first and buy the tractor later, so you don't have to figure out the logistics of moving a tractor plus implements.

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy
Since you're not sure how well you'll adapt to the different seasons there, maybe wait until after you move and get a chance to experience the weather there?

It may be easier to move first and buy the tractor later, so you don't have to figure out the logistics of moving a tractor plus implements.
Forgot to add, I am buying the tractor locally in TN. It needs to be mowed soon as it is getting overgrown because it has not been done since the old owner left last year. I could hire someone I guess but where is the fun in that :) I need to jump in with both feet and sink or swim.

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #5  
My suggestion would be to skip the cab but get a canopy. The motion of the tractor gives you a nice breeze while mowing open areas and the canopy keeps you in the shade. I made one for my bush-hog tractor and the cost was nill.

Most of all, I would never own a cabbed tractor as long as I am working my full time job inside a climate controlled factory. I might consider one after I retire. Right now, I love my time outside in the shade.

20210502_154030.jpg

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #6  
I am very close to buying my first tractor. One of the last decisions I need to make is if I should get the cab version or not. I currently live in FL and the endless summer is brutal and the AC seems inviting. Problem is I am moving to middle TN and not sure if the cab is needed as much there. I know it gets colder and I know there are seasons and it is something I have not experienced in 30 years.

I am a little worried about the cab height and how it might limit the places the tractor can go. I also know most of the time will be spent with the rotary cutter in the open areas. I don't think I will be crashing through the woods with the tractor but I don't want to limit to much where I can go. I guess I am in kinda a chicken / egg situation. I need a tractor but I am not sure exactly what I will be doing yet except mowing the open spaces. I would love to hear opinions.
Cab all the way. I dont think ive met more than 2-3 people who regret a cab.
I have met 100's who regret open station.
Safer, cleaner, healthier, more versatile/year round usage, appeals to more at trade time.

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #7  
What will you be doing with it besides mowing? If you won't be going into the woods a cab is a handy feature. OTOH that curved glass is expensive, so if you'll be doing things which will expose it to the chance of breakage it might mot be such a good option.

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #8  
I live between Fla & Tenn so I’m familiar with the conditions. I’m retired so I can chose the time & weather conditions when working outside. I went with an open station to be able to enjoy being outside and I have way too many tree-lines and firebreaks to be able to keep them trimmed. Most of the seat time is mowing on flat land with the ROPS down while ducking under limbs. Mowing in the spring and fall is very nice, summertime not so much. Nothing to mow after October so the cold isn’t much of an issue. No snow here but winters tend to be pretty soggy. No regrets so far.

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #10  
I am very close to buying my first tractor. One of the last decisions I need to make is if I should get the cab version or not.

I know most of the time will be spent with the rotary cutter in the open areas.

1. I live in north Florida. I start early and end by 12:00 Noon, avoiding afternoon heat all year.

2. Bee stings while mowing are a regular occurrence for me. If you are sensitive to bee stings, order the cab.

3. Outside stored cab tractors at least have the instrument panel and control levers protected from the elements.

4. Cab tractor dimensions make them difficult to store in a garage.

5. Cab weight on the rear wheels is approximately equivalent to loaded rear tires. If you order a cab, forego filling the rear tires with liquid unless you are ordering a high power engine relative to the tractor's weight.

Last edited: