Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #21  
I have a canopy. That must be why I'm always wishy-washy when the subject of cabs come up. :D
That's what I have. It is actually a good compromise between a cab and an open station, but far superior to both in my humble opinion.

I really get a kick out of the cab guys, who refuse to recognize that such middle ground even exists.

I also get a kick put of the bees, which are brought up by the cab guys every time this argument comes up. In almost 50 years of operating open station tractors, I am still waiting for my first bee sting.

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #22  
And the dead guys that were stung to death in an open station are not near as enthusiastic. I haven't been stung either, and I don't have a cab, I have a canopy. But if my main use was mowing an open field, I would sure have a cab. It is only money. Everything has upsides and down sides, you just have to weight the up to the down. And death from insect stings is a real possibility especial for some people. The canopy has the same downsides when it comes to limbs as a cab. But has zero protection from stings, and allergens and dust inhalation and offer zero protection in the winter. That said it is one heck of a lot better in the summer than nothing.

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #23  
My suggestion would be to skip the cab but get a canopy. The motion of the tractor gives you a nice breeze while mowing open areas and the canopy keeps you in the shade. I made one for my bush-hog tractor and the cost was nill.

Most of all, I would never own a cabbed tractor as long as I am working my full time job inside a climate controlled factory. I might consider one after I retire. Right now, I love my time outside in the shade.

View attachment 698740

I agree 100 percent. I am in northern Ohio and we see any temperature from -10 to 95+ degrees. I went with the kubota deluxe canopy and it makes a huge difference in the summer. In the winter not so much but middle to doesn’t get nearly as cold as we do up here. I paid less than 400 installed when I bought my l 3901 last year

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #24  
If you live in killer bee country, a cab might be a good idea.

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #25  
I am fortunate to have one of each, as each has it's place. The TC40DA is open station with a canopy, used for dragging the arena and most dirt work. For the first 10 years I mowed with the TC40DA and then a Boomer 8N open station. Traded the Boomer 8N in on the WM75 with a cab, which I now use to mow and move trees and brush with the grapple. As I get older I appreciate the cab with AC/heat, air ride seat, a nice radio, and less noise. I also mow later into the evening with the work lights on and no bugs in your face.

You get used to what you have, as Patrick Swayze said in Road House.

Wade: [on the phone] You havin' trouble?
Dalton: Oh, you know — nothing I'm not used to. But it's amazing what you can get used to, huh?
Wade: Yeah, tell me about it. This place has a sign hangin' over the urinal that says, "Don't eat the big white mint".

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #26  
I think with the “cab vs no cab” debate, you‘ll find most guys with cabs will say “get a cab” and most guys with open station will say “get open station”.
Everyone likes to justify their tractor purchase decision was the best decision ever made.
I've had an open station for many years. Never crossed my mind to buy a cab tractor. Then my open station lost an engine; I needed a tractor right away and this cab model Kubota M7060 came up for sale on Craigslist.

So now I have both (finally got the engine rebuilt on the open station). If I had to choose between the two tractors, guess which one I would opt to keep? Cab all the way!

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #28  
If I didn't live in a severe winter weather area, I very likely would have bought an open station. That's all we had when I was a kid on the farm, and we didn't even know anyone with a cabbed tractor. But that was in AZ, not ND.

Up here an open station wasn't even briefly considered. When it gets down to -40F pretty much every winter, and that's before anyone adds in a "wind chill" b.s. number, a cab is pretty self explanatory. And when it's -40F at 4am, with the wind blowing at 40-50 mph, and the driveway has to get opened, we just call that another day. Some winters it will stay below -30F for a month straight. Can't really wait that out until spring.

I can certainly see wanting an open station in more temperate places. My riding mower is open station, and other than being hot in summer heat, it's not unbearable. But it gets put away in the fall and will sit dormant until late spring.

Your choice has to make sense for your climate.

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #29  
What size tractor are you getting , if you are getting a compact like a kubota “B” stay away from the cab, while nice the tractor has a narrow wheel base and thus with the cab is top heavy and more prone to tipping in uneven ground. Not a problem with a larger tractor

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #30  
What size tractor are you getting , if you are getting a compact like a kubota “B” stay away from the cab, while nice the tractor has a narrow wheel base and thus with the cab is top heavy and more prone to tipping in uneven ground. Not a problem with a larger tractor
That can be mitigated with wheel weights, fluid in tires and/or stance added to the wheels if possible.
Ill take more tippy without stings, skin cancer, more comfort, less allergies and other forms of safety a cab offers.

As someone said before, the feeling of watching those angry little bastards bouncing off the cab glass? Priceless.