Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #51  
I am very close to buying my first tractor. One of the last decisions I need to make is if I should get the cab version or not. I currently live in FL and the endless summer is brutal and the AC seems inviting. Problem is I am moving to middle TN and not sure if the cab is needed as much there. I know it gets colder and I know there are seasons and it is something I have not experienced in 30 years.

I am a little worried about the cab height and how it might limit the places the tractor can go. I also know most of the time will be spent with the rotary cutter in the open areas. I don't think I will be crashing through the woods with the tractor but I don't want to limit to much where I can go. I guess I am in kinda a chicken / egg situation. I need a tractor but I am not sure exactly what I will be doing yet except mowing the open spaces. I would love to hear opinions.
Being a Zetor and LS Tractor Dealer there are pros and cons for a cab tractor vs an open station tractor. Number 1 being the glass doors are expensive, and it takes the dealer about 1 hour to install. Customers tell me how they broke their doors, from something rolling in the cab hit it, got to close to a tree, forgot to shut the door as they backed out of the barn, left the door open while feeding, cow hit it, and not securing the tractor doors when transporting the tractor on a trailer and a door come open.. Seen a few front wind shields busted do to limb hitting it, tractor they were following done the road threw a rock into it. Back windows seem to catch rocks thrown by a brush hog or disc mower.

As far as A/C, if you own a tractor long enough, the A/C is going to need worked on. There is nothing hotter then a cab tractor without A/C.. I own 3 tractors for haying and feeding cattle. A Zetor 4321 open station, Branson 4720i with loader open station, and Forterra 10741 with loader and cab. the Forterra pulls my JD 469 round baler, a cab is necessary. But of course hay baling you are not in areas with a lot trees.

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #52  
I’d say it depends on what you plan to do in the woods. I’m in S. Indiana w/no cab. On my last tractor, I ripped both turn signals off the rear and there‘s no way I could have a cab. But, I’m clearing trails with the tractor and running all over my 200 acres of 97% forest. My neighbor has 95% pasture, and he loves his cab.

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #53  
I live in central KY so our weather is about the same as E. TN. and I have an open station. I would not have a cab, I do a lot of brush clearing and tree cutting for firewood and I'm on and off the seat 50+- times a day sometimes and it is a pain to open and close the door that many times. My Dad had a cab tractor and I tied the door open. It just depends on what your needs are but for me an open station is fine. Bug spray and canopy in summer and insulated clothes in the winter work for me!

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #54  
I am very close to buying my first tractor. One of the last decisions I need to make is if I should get the cab version or not. I currently live in FL and the endless summer is brutal and the AC seems inviting. Problem is I am moving to middle TN and not sure if the cab is needed as much there. I know it gets colder and I know there are seasons and it is something I have not experienced in 30 years.

I am a little worried about the cab height and how it might limit the places the tractor can go. I also know most of the time will be spent with the rotary cutter in the open areas. I don't think I will be crashing through the woods with the tractor but I don't want to limit to much where I can go. I guess I am in kinda a chicken / egg situation. I need a tractor but I am not sure exactly what I will be doing yet except mowing the open spaces. I would love to hear opinions.
Go with the Cab. I have a Kubota L3600 with the cab. I the summer in Louisiana it a little warm and I will AC no problem. In the winter put the heater on.

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #55  
I retired and move to middle Tennessee 9 years ago. The first couple years I didn't need a tractor for my <2 acres but I did need a riding lawnmower and it was brutal during the long hot and humid summer months. Then I bought additional adjoining property and I now needed a tractor. I bought a open station and soon regretted my purchase. Hot, humid and bugs was bad enough but the heat and humidity takes away your energy after a few hours, which can also make operating a tractor dangerous. So I traded in my open cab for a bigger and more powerful cab and never looked back. Cab is the way to go but you also need to make sure you know what HP you might need. I started with a 35hp but soon realized I needed at least a 50hp.

Last edited:
   / Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #56  
Neighbor across the street bought cab because of his allergic asthma and loves it for that.

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #58  
It depends: If you are going to be plowing fields and scaping snow you should have an enclosed cab. If you are buying a sub compact to use around the farm, pulling trees and clearing land an enclosure may get in the way of your work.

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #59  

Everybody's level of comfort will vary, and you'll no doubt get all sorts of opinions about a cab or not. SO here's one more. I grew up around and on tractors. No ROPS. No cabs. Sometimes not much of a real "seat". It's what we did. And we acclimated. And we complained. Bugs. Hay dust. Burning sun. Stifling humidity. But we were farmers. So there.

And then came cabs. With heat for the winter. And air conditioning for the summer. Sure it's another level of complexity on the tractor - more wiring, more hoses, more valves, more pumps - but IMHO it's worthwhile. I'd rather be in a cab than slathering tons of DEET on during black-fly season or in the heart of mosquito season. I'd rather be in a cab than dealing with the seeds and dust during mowing and haying times. I'd rather be in a cab that's got some (doesn't take much) cooling and de-humidifying than having to bake and swelter in the summer heat. I'd rather be in a cab than having that snow blowing back in my face and melting in my lap as I clear the winter white, and I can mid-storm clear with a cab instead of having to wait until all 3 feet have fallen.

My vote goes to getting a cab.
My NEXT tractor will have one, that's for sure.

Good luck!!

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #60  
It's all about the abs. If you're ripped and you want to impress, then go shirtless on an open station. If not, turn on the A/C and enjoy the ride!