Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #91  
For a bit of comic relief:
20180715_174857.jpg

In a pinch, this might work...

Or not!

We were making a rack to carry stuff around the farm.. we also were thinking of ways to keep the sun off of us... Big fun with this innovative idea!

We operate open.. There are some days we wish for a cab but not too many.

That ain't me by the way.. that is a young man who hangs around the mountain with dabear.

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #92  
I am very close to buying my first tractor. One of the last decisions I need to make is if I should get the cab version or not. I currently live in FL and the endless summer is brutal and the AC seems inviting. Problem is I am moving to middle TN and not sure if the cab is needed as much there. I know it gets colder and I know there are seasons and it is something I have not experienced in 30 years.

I am a little worried about the cab height and how it might limit the places the tractor can go. I also know most of the time will be spent with the rotary cutter in the open areas. I don't think I will be crashing through the woods with the tractor but I don't want to limit to much where I can go. I guess I am in kinda a chicken / egg situation. I need a tractor but I am not sure exactly what I will be doing yet except mowing the open spaces. I would love to hear opinions.
I don't like cabs. Then again, I don't live in Wisconsin. For your 1st tractor, good visibilty is important. A cab also makes the tractor more top-heavy. MyKubota has a fold-down ROPS, which makes possible to limit the height even more in a specific situation - like going under tree limbs or parking in the garage. I spend time outdoors and enjoy it - even on the tractor. Florida and Tennessee both have good weather. Mosquitos are not a problem on a moving tractor. I spent many hours on a tractor in the Southeast and never wanted a cab.

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #93  
My tractor has a cab and I wouldn’t have it any other way. A few things that haven’t been mentioned...
Getting in and out is not as easy. Doors can get hung up on things if you drive with them open. You shouldn’t but you will. Wear your seat belt. Bouncing up and smacking your noggin on the cab roof will ruin your day. There’s more to clean and maintain.
ac and heat tend to be rather wussy generally speaking. If you open the door it all flies out and you’re hot or cold again.
visibility is restricted esp with loader bucket all the way up you can’t see it.
These are small potatoes 🥔 compared with the overall joy of having a cab.
spend the extra money you deserve it

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #94  
I live in Arkansas on 20 Acres and started with an open (non-cab) model that I used primarily for gardening - plowing, tilling, planting, subsoiling etc (5 acres), bush hogging, road maintenance, firewood/minor logging and water management - we have a creek and many wet weather springs that make things swampy at times. Realized real quick that the heat, cold, bugs, bees etc weren't that great. I'm also retired military so I enjoy some of the nicer, more comfortable aspects of things now. After 2 years on the open station, I found a killer deal on an almost new (50hr) Mahindra 2555 cab. Personally, I wouldn't go back to an open station again. I like the heat, AC, music & lack of dust, bugs etc. One thing I do wish, however would be to have the ability to hook up my BT hearing protection to the stereo - the turbo on the 2555 can get quite loud @ pto rpms - but I guess that's what ipods are for 😗😉🙃.

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #95  
I live in New Hampshire and plow a 1/3-mile driveway ten or twelve times a winter. I'm sure it's a bit colder here than in Tennessee. I'm perfectly warm in a skier's warmup pants, jacket, hat, double gloves, and goggles even in a snowstorm. I opted not to get a cab because it wouldn't fit into my garage. I suppose that cabbed I could leave it outside, but running a power cord to the engine heater would be a bit dicey, never mind cleaning off the snow when I head off to plow. And there are mornings here where an engine heater for diesel is a necessity.

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #96  
"The good news is, Number15, you're on the right track. Every man needs a tractor (or two). : ) "

Hey Garson from New Brunswick! KubotaGirl here from Nova Scotia ;)
Bought my first tractor in 2017 (Kubota M7060). I joined this group back then to learn everything I could about tractors. The people here gave me the knowledge I needed and I'm so thankful for this community of tractor owners. Just wanted you to know though, us ladies love our tractors too ;)

The cab debate...my dad used a tractor on our farm his entire life with no cab. He made hay, plowed our driveway, etc. Here in NS we can have very hot Summers and very cold Winters with everything else in between. My dad is tough and he made it work, but he did end up with spots of skin cancer on his face which were removed over the years because of sun damage. The elements can be unforgiving on a human and a tractor so those are all things one should consider. Then there's the safety issue. Tractors can easily tip no matter where you are...I feel so much safer in a cab. As far as height is concerned, my tractor is 109" high with cab so too high for 8 ft garage. We made our own garage to accommodate the tractor but have never used it since we got used to storing wood in it instead, so the tractor sleeps outside. A cab allows you to do that. A garage that fits your tractor does come in handy for servicing big jobs and prevents you from having to take it to the dealer. Depending on the model you are buying would determine the height you will need to clear a door.
My two cents; A cab is an added luxury that I personally couldn't do without now. If this is your first and last tractor I vote for a cab and don't think you'd regret it. The visibility is superb, air conditioning, heater, and added protection are worth it. No matter what you decide, enjoy your new tractor and come here often to share your experiences :)

p.s. I use my tractor with logging winch in the woods. Hauled out many loads of pulpwood, saw logs, and firewood. Never had an issue with branches, and if anything the cab protects you from branches. Whether you have cab or not you would still have to cut anything that's in the way, so I don't feel the woods is an issue as far as deciding on a cab.

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #97  
Bouncing up and smacking your noggin on the cab roof will ruin your day.

I miss are being able to lean out over the tire to look down at my track

☝️☝️☝️
Hit my head a few times on the cab roof getting in but wear my seat belt at all times, good habit learned from experience turning over an excavator that gave me a concussion when I was thrown into the side window and cab.

I also hit my head trying to lean over to see where the rear tire is tracking, the mirrors work well for that but old habits die hard.

I have cleared about the same amount of wooded land with a cabbed excavator and track loader as with open cab tractors. Have yet to regret a cab...

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #98  
Not sure what size tractor you are talking about or the amount of shredding you will be performing or how often. We have 4 tractors, 2 cabbed and 2 open station. JD 4320 and a JD5100 cabbed, JD3038 and a Mahindra 4550 both open with ROPS. The 2 open station are basically used for cattle pens, chutes and barn maintenance. The JD4320 is a legacy item kept more for sentimental value than actual usage. The JD5100 Cab is the workhorse of the ranch. It is the first tractor that I think of whenever a tractor is needed. Just might step up to a 6 series next time. The Mahindra 4550 was a mistake and seldom gets used. The JD3038 is nice for working in pens and we have backhoe attachment for when we need to dig in close proximity to fences, pens, structures etc.

We have a ranch in south Texas and everything down here either bites, stings or stinks to high heaven and it tends to get a little warm and sticky here in the summer. Winter is wet and cold to me but probably almost tropical temps for you northern boys. We do a lot of shredding in the warm months and put out round bales in the winter.

It is definitely nice to sit in a nice warm tractor putting out hay when the north cold wind is howling. As to shredding down here. When I start shredding it is long hot dry day after day after day shredding. Lots of Texas Gulf humid heat and all those wonderful biting and stinging insects. Seems like almost every year we hear of someone getting swarmed by "killer bees". I personally know of a neighbor that passed after being swarmed in an open tractor shredding a fence line.

In all my years of shredding I have never broken a window on a tree limb. Mostly what you see is the tempered glass diverting the tree limbs along the glass rather that slapping the crap out of the driver. However I did have a back window shatter when a chain broke while pulling a drag and hit the back window. On the flip side if in a cabless tractor that might have been my head that stopped the chain rather than the back window. We now have an expanded metal shield on the back window.

IMO, if you are going to spend any significant time in a tractor shredding get something like a 5 or 6 series JD cab, FEL with a 3rd function switch, grapple and tint the side and back windows to help keep the sun out. If you will be inside for long days get the air ride seat, bluetooth and stereo. You will not regret the purchase. I would also mention the jump seat sure is nice if you have kids or grandkids. Thats the route I went. But then this is our way of life and not a hobby.

Good luck on your purchase.

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy #99  
I am very close to buying my first tractor. One of the last decisions I need to make is if I should get the cab version or not. I currently live in FL and the endless summer is brutal and the AC seems inviting. Problem is I am moving to middle TN and not sure if the cab is needed as much there. I know it gets colder and I know there are seasons and it is something I have not experienced in 30 years.

I am a little worried about the cab height and how it might limit the places the tractor can go. I also know most of the time will be spent with the rotary cutter in the open areas. I don't think I will be crashing through the woods with the tractor but I don't want to limit to much where I can go. I guess I am in kinda a chicken / egg situation. I need a tractor but I am not sure exactly what I will be doing yet except mowing the open spaces. I would love to hear opinions.
If you can afford it, get a CAB!!! You won't regret it!

Why you should buy a cab tractor

/ Should I cab or not. Getting ready to buy
Wow this thread really exploded today :)
Where in Middle TN are you heading?
Spring City on Watts Bar lake (90 acres for those of you who asked)
Get the cab and buy it before it's gone.
After reading all of these replies I am convinced and bought the cab. I will get it next week.

I also decided to keep the tractor that is on the property as a backup and for times when I need to do work that is closer in to the woods.
It is a Kubota L3000DT that is in a little rough shape, no FEL. Needs a little love but I guess I can make it a project.

I am pretty excited to get it, hopefully made the right choice but I won't regret what I have done :)