Should I change my oil?

/ Should I change my oil? #1  

Climber

Tractor
Kubota B7300HSD
I bought a B7300 last fall, with 223 hours. I understand from the previous owner that the 200 hour service was completed on time. The tractor now has just over 250 hours.

The oil on the dipstick is very black. I seem to recall reading somewhere on TBN that this is common with diesel engines. Should I go ahead and change the oil at this time?

Thanks,

--Chris

/ Should I change my oil? #2  
It seems like a lot of people here change the oil at 50 hrs. (myself included) so I'd say change it.

It doesn't take long for the new oil to turn black.

/ Should I change my oil? #3  
Personally I like to go for 100 hrs or 6 months, whichever happens first. My car is usually done every 3 months but that is just because of the 3 to 5k miles that I put on in that period. If you have been working in areas with a lot of dust then the shorter period is better.

The main purpose for the oil is to reduce friction between metal parts. If you have oil that is changed regularly along with the filter, then you should have long life on the engine.

Yes diesel oil turns black very soon after an oil change. This is especially true on older engines that have more wear and therefore more blow by on the piston rings. The soot from the combustion chamber gets blown into the crankcase and turns the oil black.

Don

/ Should I change my oil? #4  
if in doubt change it, and the filter also. it can't hurt and u will feel much better. not a major job or an expensive one.

/ Should I change my oil? #5  
I'd change it. I change my oil every 50 hours, this ~3000 mile oil change for a car, (50 hours at PTO speed for a car is 60+ MPH = 3000+ miles).

/ Should I change my oil? #6  
I second JJT's post - I change EVERY 50 hours, period.

/ Should I change my oil? #7  
Chris,
Do what the manual tells you to do, when the manual tells you to do it. If this leaves you feelilng guilty, that maybe you should be doing something more, then do it every 50 hours, it's cheap enough... the engineers who designed the engine know what it needs.

- Patrick W.

/ Should I change my oil? #8  
My dad taught me to change the oil anytime you buy a pre-owned car/truck. The oil is the most important part of your tractors life and for $15 it's a good way to check for stuff in the old oil.