should i or shouldnt i change the oil?

/ should i or shouldnt i change the oil? #1  

sal64

Platinum Member
Tractor
jd 2320 jd 990 jd950
hello all i have a jd 990 changed the oil 11/2007 202hrs now i have 237hrs is it necisery to change it? tuvm sal.

/ should i or shouldnt i change the oil? #2  
hello all i have a jd 990 changed the oil 11/2007 202hrs now i have 237hrs is it necisery to change it? tuvm sal.

35 hours in something like 2 3/4 years? I am going to guess and say you've been a bit pre-occupied. :D

Anyhow, sure. Why even worry. An oil change is so inexpensive. Good filter= $6 and a gallon, give or take of Rotella= $15. Some $20 and a half hour of your time. It's your call. How about a grease gun assault too?

A lot of diesel fuel sitting around time, and anti freeze as well. Just sayin'.

/ should i or shouldnt i change the oil? #3  
Engine oil addatives degrade with use, time and moisture so YES you should change the oil, at LEAST every year.

/ should i or shouldnt i change the oil? #4  
Yes. I will go up to 1.5 years in some cases but never that long. It is cheap and easy to do yourself.

/ should i or shouldnt i change the oil? #5  
Oil is very, very, very much less expensive than engine trouble. If I were you, I would change the engine oil and filter, run for 25 hours and dump it, then refill.
I have to ask, what about the Tranny oil, Axle oil, Hydraulic oil and the Fuel pump oil? Um...... Air filter?????

/ should i or shouldnt i change the oil? #6  
Naw don't change the oil, just give me your address and I will stop by and take it off your hands since you do not use it enough anyway!

Probably would not do any harm but as cheap as oil is why take the chance?

/ should i or shouldnt i change the oil?
tu all for responce i will change the oil. as far as hydro manual says 500 hrs?

/ should i or shouldnt i change the oil? #8  
I do yearly oil changes if the machine runs at all. if it's in storage for extended time.. I change it at storage time, then change it when i remove it from storage.

oil and filters are so cheap compaired to engine overhauls...

soundguy

/ should i or shouldnt i change the oil? #9  
tu all for responce i will change the oil. as far as hydro manual says 500 hrs?

Sal

The problem with using hours to determine your maintenance routine is precisely because some owners, such as you yourself, simply do not compile hours fast enough for that schedule to have any meaning.

At 12 hours a year, it would take how long for you to put 500 hours on your tractor and thus, do a hydro fluid change? Decades? Long before then that fluid would likely be contaminated and unusable.

Thus, consider this. Soundman's advice is similar to what I would also recommend. Oil change every fall. Forget the hours. Fuel filters every two years, no more! Air filter every two years. Hydro fluid and filter(s) every three, perhaps four years, no matter what.

Think about a calendar based schedule, not the tractor hours. Your machines will thank you. :)