Should I replace my 2" trailer hitch?

/ Should I replace my 2" trailer hitch? #21  
When in doubt, replace it for piece of mind.

/ Should I replace my 2" trailer hitch? #22  
In addition to all of the good advise above, I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned blocking the back end of the trailer to prevent an uplifting force on the hitch ball coupler when loading and unloading. An ounce of prevention...?

/ Should I replace my 2" trailer hitch? #23  
Thats why I use a pintle ring and hook, And I use a pad lock on the latch.

/ Should I replace my 2" trailer hitch? #24  
I forgot to mention I have jacks on both back corners so as to not stress the parking pawl or the truck. The parking brake dont mean much if the back of the truck is off the ground or sliding on the ground.

/ Should I replace my 2" trailer hitch? #25  
I have 5 trailers from 22' flat to 4x8. They all now have 2 5/16 hitches. Over kill I know but no more changing stingers. I vote replace it with one standard size.
I'm with ranger danger - I have 2" and 2 5/16. I also have two or three sets of both sizes. But, when I need to change, they are never around. However, make sure to remember the correct hitch and coupler capabilities.

/ Should I replace my 2" trailer hitch? #26  
I do, but, I snapped it off with maybe 5000 lbs of pressure. Surely, something would have been stressed?
Get a new hitch. They’re not bery expensive

/ Should I replace my 2" trailer hitch?
I'm the OP and here's what pushed me over the edge to replace. There are two photos here. The first one shows a straight-on photo of the hitch with the camera level. Notice the hitch looks slanted to one side and that's because it is. In the second photo, I tilted the camera on an angle to the left until the piece looked straight.

It's hard to see but what I think happened is the hitch was forced off on an angle with the hook latched. It bent the internals and as that was happening, the hitch racked itself and came off on an angle.

Bottom line is that a hitch that is forced off, like mine, should be replaced. It's compromised and the damage is not always easy to see.

Attachments

• IMG_0873.jpg
    IMG_0873.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0874.jpg
    IMG_0874.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 55