Should I say something

/ Should I say something #1  

therrien

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B1700 TLB Now LX2610 ROPS
Back story- I recently sold a Kubota (model left out purposly) "as is for parts due to a concern for metal in the transmission". The machine was running well at the moment and looked great even after 22 years of owning it. I sold the machine to company that buys equipment services and resells. I recently saw my old machine being advertized by a local handyman renting the machine and himself out per hour. I felt like contacting him and letting him know there was an issue with metal in the transmission but have friends telling me to butt out. I hate seeing a hard working guy getting screwed. I can only imagine with the equipment shortage the price he could of paid for the machine may have been very high. I am not concerned if the person I sold it to made a great profit as long as they were honest or repaired the issues with the machine. With the market the way it is and the machine running, I could have sold it for more than I paid but I do have a conscience. I did not even want to trade it toward my new kubota so the dealer would not get burned down the line.

Should I inform the new owner of the tractors history or not?

/ Should I say something #3  
friends telling me to butt out.
X2. You have no idea what if any repair has been done, what he paid for it or what condition that it was sold as. From your post it sounds as though you bought and sold it based on another person's opinion...

/ Should I say something #4  
Unfortunately, it is a different world we live in today.....X3

/ Should I say something
X2. You have no idea what if any repair has been done, what he paid for it or what condition that it was sold as. From your post it sounds as though you bought and sold it based on another person's opinion...
You are correct, I do not know if it was repaired or not. I did not buy it on anothers opinion. I bought the machine in 1999 and sold it just recently as is for parts for a good price while it was running because I did not want to put big money into the machine due to it's age, even though it was in excellent shape other than the metal in the transmission. I believe the metal was due to questionable work at a dealer. The only time I had someone else do work on the machine because I was just simply too busy. I was clear in saying that the machine needed attention, something was not right.

/ Should I say something
That^

You're twice removed from the potential problem. If it was a safety issue that would be different.
I do appreciate all the replies. I just hate to see someone get taken IF they are not fully informed.
I hope the machine treats them well. I did my part being honest with the person I sold it to.
Thank you

/ Should I say something #9  
therrien - First, you're an honest guy and a straight shooter. I appreciate the kind of person you are.
2nd - You have enough money that you could take the loss of being honest, and you did and were.
3rd - The dealer could have sold the tractor after making repairs and made a reasonable profit. Or, the dealer could have sold the tractor without making repairs, and told the customer, and made a reasonable profit. Or the dealer could have sold the tractor without making repairs, and without telling the customer, and made an unreasonable profit. That's the bone that sticks in your (and my) craw.
You are whole (money wise) in this deal.
We know the dealer is whole (money wise).
It is that poor schmuck who bought the tractor who may, or may not, be whole. Of the three parties, he will be the least able to afford a loss. How do we know ? Anybody doing handyman services doesn't have any money - he's just living hand-to-mouth.
Call the handyman. Tell him you're happy to see your old tractor still hard at work, that it had been a good tractor for lots of years, you'd sold it for parts due to issues with metal filings in the transmission fluid, and you're glad it's been fixed or that he's going to fix it when the transmission goes bad. Maybe offer him your records file so he'll know when it next needs service, or so he can see that the tractor was well maintained. Be a friend, not a tattle-tale.
All I have prescribed is what you'd do if it were a friend who had purchased your old tractor. So make him a friend and you'll feel good about the whole situation.

/ Should I say something #10  
therrien, you did good by asking. It's not a black and white question, though. If the "handyman" has already purchased your old tractor, there's not much he can do, but personally, I'd inform him, just in case the tractor does crap out on him. On the other hand, it may continue to operate just fine for thousands of hours. Who knows where the metal particles came from, and if they indicate problems to come?