should I worry about this thorny problem?

/ should I worry about this thorny problem? #11  
First things first then we can discuss how to dispose of downed trees and brush.
The reason you have a grove in one spot is because there was a single tree standing in that spot and whom ever removed it didn't follow advice I'm giving you. When a Honey Locust is cut down or dozed out dozens of pups will sprout from roots and grow faster than newly planted trees because they already have an established root system. The prefered method is spraying entire canopy with brush killer in late Spring to early Summer then leave standing until Fall or following Spring before removing. The main hurdle is preventing herbacide drifting to crops,resedintial landscaping and other desirable plants. If equipment and expertise can't be mustered,secound choice is ringing and/or injecting trunk. 3rd choice is dozing or logging followed up with a concentrated program spraying sprouts after they emerge and fully leaf out,and continuing to hand spray resprouts up to three years. Eliminating all those trees can cause new problems or yield a free bonanza depending on how vigilant you are in managing the ground. The ground where trees stood will be as productive as ground elsewhere following an intensive 5 year soil improvement program. Honey Locust is 1st cousin to Hairy Vetch,beans and other legumes that fix nitrogen in soil. If you don't cultivate or plant the ground nature will plant it. If you would like other trees,check their sensitivity to herbicide that was used and how long herbicide persists on soil. Grasses aren't sensitive to most brush killers so you can plant it in Rye during cool season and warm weather grass in Summer to suppress unwanted plants.
You can buy a 3-4 ton 12 volt winch for less than $700 and move logs using your tractor and trees to anchor snatch blocks.

/ should I worry about this thorny problem? #12  
First things first then we can discuss how to dispose of downed trees and brush.
The reason you have a grove in one spot is because there was a single tree standing in that spot and whom ever removed it didn't follow advice I'm giving you. When a Honey Locust is cut down or dozed out dozens of pups will sprout from roots and grow faster than newly planted trees because they already have an established root system. The prefered method is spraying entire canopy with brush killer in late Spring to early Summer then leave standing until Fall or following Spring before removing. The main hurdle is preventing herbacide drifting to crops,resedintial landscaping and other desirable plants. If equipment and expertise can't be mustered,secound choice is ringing and/or injecting trunk. 3rd choice is dozing or logging followed up with a concentrated program spraying sprouts after they emerge and fully leaf out,and continuing to hand spray resprouts up to three years. Eliminating all those trees can cause new problems or yield a free bonanza depending on how vigilant you are in managing the ground. The ground where trees stood will be as productive as ground elsewhere following an intensive 5 year soil improvement program. Honey Locust is 1st cousin to Hairy Vetch,beans and other legumes that fix nitrogen in soil. If you don't cultivate or plant the ground nature will plant it. If you would like other trees,check their sensitivity to herbicide that was used and how long herbicide persists on soil. Grasses aren't sensitive to most brush killers so you can plant it in Rye during cool season and warm weather grass in Summer to suppress unwanted plants.
You can buy a 3-4 ton 12 volt winch for less than $700 and move logs using your tractor and trees to anchor snatch blocks.
That works, but there’s an easier way. Cut the tree, then apply an herbicide such as Garlon or Velpar directly to the stump when the cut is fresh. Before it seals over. No need to spray foliage.

/ should I worry about this thorny problem? #13  
Must be all that nuclear waste someone's dumping in Indiana to make thorns like that.
I think the cause was much earlier than that and came from the bellies of Enola Gay and Bock's Car on August 6th and 9th 1945. I know this because I was stepping on those thorns as a barefoot kid in late 40s.🥵

/ should I worry about this thorny problem? #14  
The black locust is the one with the sbort twin stipular thorns about 1/2 in long. The honey locust can have branched thorns close to 2 feet long on the truck and the outlying limbs. And to make it even better they are coated with a bacteria that causes infections when it gets stabbed into your body. Ran one through the side of my finger on the palm side and the tip came out next to the nail a few years back.

/ should I worry about this thorny problem? #15  
   / should I worry about this thorny problem? #16  
An excavator removed a number of mine, roots and all. Put in a pile. I will burn it sometime as locust is very slow to rot.

/ should I worry about this thorny problem?
Better picture in the daylight.

My personal inclination would be to cut the the locusts and treat the stumps with Tordon or something like it.

I wonder if there's a way to move sections of trunks using a 12v winch powered by a generator? There are plenty of other trees to use as anchor points. Buying a 12v winch would be less expensive than paying $1,000 for a weeks rental of any kind of ctl or excavator, and I could work on my own schedule instead of worrying about working around the rental time. I figure I can move the generator and the winch around with one of my Gravely walk behinds. If I get a flat, the tubes on the Gravelys are pretty easy to repair.

Z50_5773.jpg

/ should I worry about this thorny problem? #18  
I think a problem with dragging or moving these things is that you might spread thorns along the drag path, which is what people want to avoid for tire puncture reasons.

/ should I worry about this thorny problem? #19  
Better picture in the daylight.

My personal inclination would be to cut the the locusts and treat the stumps with Tordon or something like it.

I wonder if there's a way to move sections of trunks using a 12v winch powered by a generator? There are plenty of other trees to use as anchor points. Buying a 12v winch would be less expensive than paying $1,000 for a weeks rental of any kind of ctl or excavator, and I could work on my own schedule instead of worrying about working around the rental time. I figure I can move the generator and the winch around with one of my Gravely walk behinds. If I get a flat, the tubes on the Gravelys are pretty easy to repair.

View attachment 788369
Yikes!

/ should I worry about this thorny problem?
Whether I have then pushed over with a dozer or cut them, those thorns are going to land all over the area when the trees fall. It used to be a small feedlot next to the barn years ago. Dragging them may spread the thorns, but I have to get them out of the way in order to keep this area cut. I'd just have to cut it with maybe my Bachtold brush mower that has solid wheels.

While I could move sections of the trunks with a grapple to mitigate spreading thorns, that means I'd have to rent a tracked loader or hire someone.