Shower Plumbing help please?

/ Shower Plumbing help please? #1  

gwstang

Platinum Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N / Kubota L2501
Are the new shower manifolds (where the hot/cold water is mixed and turn handles to get it out) some kind of low flow stuff? I replaced the old manifold when I put in a new tub, the new "Caulk-less snap together type unit". The flow is just ridiculously slower than before. Of course the spousal unit complains that she can barely get the shampoo out of her hair. Red heads get really ill about such things....well most things anyway...lol :(

I've gotten weary with her whining on this. How do I rectify this situation and get more water flow?
Thanks for any help. :confused2:

/ Shower Plumbing help please? #3  
The greenies are at it again. You may find one of the older ones it you look around especially the old time hardware stores. Remember the toilet process we have all learned to live with. Maybe she will have to fill a bucket and dunk her head in it. :cool2: Maybe a booster pump in the shower HW supply line. :hissyfit:

Ron

/ Shower Plumbing help please? #4  
It's been a long time since I had a shower valve apart, but could you drill the hole out bigger? If that doesn't work is a more efficient shower head an option?

/ Shower Plumbing help please? #5  
NO! You plugged something with debris. I’d pull the shower head first and hope it’s in there. Otherwise it’s in the valve itself. If that’s the case you will need to disassemble the valve and find the chunk/chunks. If it’s a cartridge type (like a Moan) you may need a new cartridge since those aren’t serviceable.
No valve is (low flow) it’s all done in the shower head....that would be a cruel joke if a manufacturer did that.

What type of valve did you buy?

BTW- some “hi end” shower valves have little shut offs built in so they can be serviced without shutting water off to the building (think commercial setting like a hotel). Make sure you don’t have something like that that may be mostly closed.

/ Shower Plumbing help please? #6  
In my post 2, I should have said "fixtures (?)" instead of "valves." I don't know which part has the restriction.

Bruce

/ Shower Plumbing help please? #7  
I feel your pain!!!!
I put in a new shower head.. the type that has abunch of joints in it inorder to get it up higher.. I'm 6'1" & the wife is 5'2"..
& I have to adjust the shower head EVERYTIME I get in it.. so I installed a "rain shower" head..UP HI..
The water coming out of IT wasn't enough to put out a cigarette..
I took it apart & found 2 "PLASTIC" orifices.. Grabbed my trusty Dewalt & went to town on'm..
In 10 minutes had enough water pressure to wash the both of us at the same time.. :cool:
So to answer your question.. YES .. "IF" you can get it apart, drill out the orifices.. it'll probably be in the main line..??

/ Shower Plumbing help please? #8  
I replaced the shower valves and head in the downstairs bath a few months ago, had the same problem, hardly enough water coming out to get wet. When I took the shower head off, there was a white plastic disc with a very small hole in it, right past the threads in the coupling. I first drilled the hole a bit larger and that still didn't suit me, so I just took the darned thing completely out.

It now puts out so much more water that you don't even want to open that valve wide open.

/ Shower Plumbing help please? #9  
The valve is not usually restricted. Often a valve can be used for either tub or shower and there's no reason to restrict flow on the tub, it uses the same amount of water either way. The head is required to be restricted, better models give good performance anyway, and often the restriction can be defeated. It's very common when doing plumbing to dislodge debris that clogs the valve or the head.

A quick test is to take off the shower head and see how long it takes to fill a five gallon bucket. A normal shower head is 2.5 gallons per minute, or two minutes to fill a bucket. With the head off you should get several times that.

/ Shower Plumbing help please? #10  
Re Plastic flow restriction disc's - I've found those in faucets as well. Simple solution is to simply pull it out of your shower head, and toss it. More than likely that'll fix your problem...