Shredding charge...?

/ Shredding charge...? #1  

JoeinTX

Platinum Member
Tractor
'51 ford 8N
I'm transplanted country boy in the city and I've been itchin' for a little tractor time, so I've decided to try a part time tractor shredding biz. I've got the tractor and shredder, a little liability insurance, and just about all the things I think I might need. But, I don't know what to charge? I've been doing this for years back home but it's never really occurred to me what I might pay someone else if they were doing it for me. I'm not looking to make it full time, just a side gig for my enjoyment more than anything else just so long as I can make it at least pay for itself. I've been kicking around $25/hour for a 5' rig...does this sound reasonable? I saw someone advertise for $17/acre the other day and thought that sounded out-of-whack to me, but I don't know what kind of equipment he was using. I've checked rental rates and most places are charging $150+ per day for this size.

/ Shredding charge...? #2  
Here I charge $45/hour for brush cutting/ shredding. If I can't just tractor down the street, I double the first hour for hauling fee. About 35 miles from here, more in the country, the prices start around $25/hr. I've not seen anyone here bid by price/acre John

/ Shredding charge...? #3  
I do quite a bit of bush hogging on a commercial basis. Most of it is done with a pair of 60 HP tractors, and 7' Woods BB840 mowers. I can mow as much as 4 acres an hour with that set-up. Rougher ground/heavy brush slows me down some.

My rates (in Louisville Kentucky area) are $75 an hour for the first 2 hours, then $60 per hour after that. The "going rate" last summer here was about $16 an acres.

Fuel cost is driving it up somewhat this year. I'm planning on $18.50 an acre/$80 an hour first 2/$65 hour after that.

I get all the work I want or need.

I carry $1,000,000 liability ins. $1,000,000 personal injury, and $100,000 on my equipment.

I don't see how anyone could make enough to turn a profit at $25 an hour, regardless of size of tractor.

My expenses run over $25 an hour, including wages for employee's, taxes, insurance, fuel cost, depreciation on equipment, license, tow vehicles, and some advertising.

/ Shredding charge...? #4  
Are you going to load up, drive a half hour and do a 2ac job for $34? Not me. I find it hard to charge a set price. Some jobs are farther, some are dirtier(hunting clubs), even junky and I charge more. I usually won't even do them if they're too trashy. Cut tires and damaged blades will put you in the hole quick.There are jons also that aren't worth getting out of bed for unless you charge more. If I'm asked how much I charge I always include "most jobs" $30/hr. I don't mow for a living, so it's no problem to get turned down.