Shut Off With Fuel Pump, Or Key First?

/ Shut Off With Fuel Pump, Or Key First? #1  

Milo

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3520, Ferris Z2100, Kawasaki Mule Pro MX, Honda Pioneer 520
When I originally purchased my B7500 the salesman suggested that I shut the tractor off by turning the ignition off first, (of course it keeps running) then pull the fuel pump knob. Something about this being "easier on the alternator". So is this true, or does it really make any difference?

/ Shut Off With Fuel Pump, Or Key First? #2  
Milo - My B7500 Operator's Manual lists two steps: 1. After slowing the engine to idle, pull the entine stop knob back and hold it until the engine stops. 2. Remove the key.

That's what I have been doing for seven years and 1,150 hours. I do have to turn the key "OFF" to remove it.

/ Shut Off With Fuel Pump, Or Key First? #3  
I did it both ways with my B7500 for 8 years and never saw a problem
my new L3400 does not have a knob, just the key:thumbsup:

James K0UA

/ Shut Off With Fuel Pump, Or Key First?
Thanks Rusty, and k0ua. I just couldn't understand how it would make a difference to the alternator either way. My John Deere friend once watched me shut it down and pointed out "on my Deere I just have to turn the key to shut it off". I told him Kubota's also come with "the knob", which is an anti theft device. :D

/ Shut Off With Fuel Pump, Or Key First? #5  
You are actually lucky that your tractor works that way. The fuel shut off solenoid is prone to failure on other models if they get wet.

The L3650 had both the knob and the solenoid. The solenoid failed three times. The knob never failed.

/ Shut Off With Fuel Pump, Or Key First? #6  
Our Massey Ferguson 375 is like that and I shut it down both ways. Of course with Lucas electrics not sure there is any difference in doing it the right or wrong way.

/ Shut Off With Fuel Pump, Or Key First?
Our Massey Ferguson 375 is like that and I shut it down both ways. Of course with Lucas electrics not sure there is any difference in doing it the right or wrong way.

:D:D:D

/ Shut Off With Fuel Pump, Or Key First? #8  
When I originally purchased my B7500 the salesman suggested that I shut the tractor off by turning the ignition off first, (of course it keeps running) then pull the fuel pump knob. Something about this being "easier on the alternator". So is this true, or does it really make any difference?

The only difference I can think of in any case is the circuitry that provides power to the alternator field, and on my tractor, the hour meter.

How I would do it, given that I don't know which is best: I would turn off the key, an then pull the kill knob.

The reason is: it would be easier for me to forget to turn off the key were the engine not running than it would be for me to forget to stop the engine were the key not on. :thumbsup::D