sickle bar

/ sickle bar #1  

woody

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B26, Kubota ZG222, Kubota L45, 1980 Ford 1700
this is my new to me sickle bar that I will use in place of my Sabre to trim the driveway and perimeter of a two acre field.

Attachments

• skid steer sickle mower (5).jpg
    skid steer sickle mower (5).jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 252
  • skid steer sickle mower (2).jpg
    skid steer sickle mower (2).jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 313
   / sickle bar
oh yeah the skid steer is not mine I will use it on my L45 Kubota

/ sickle bar #3  
Best wishes with it. Yours looks simpler than ours. We have a 7' Befco sickle bar we use to mow around part of the edge of a pond, and also some vertical trimming of the sides of some roads and trails. The Befco is a pain to get hooked up and adjusted properly, but once you get that done it works very well.

/ sickle bar #4  
Nice looking attachment, good luck with it.
Have been contemplating making something like it.

/ sickle bar
Best wishes with it. Yours looks simpler than ours. We have a 7' Befco sickle bar we use to mow around part of the edge of a pond, and also some vertical trimming of the sides of some roads and trails. The Befco is a pain to get hooked up and adjusted properly, but once you get that done it works very well.

Is the Befco front mounted or 3 point hitch? My Dad has a 3 point sickle bar and says it is hard to get it hooked up and he uses it for his pond.

/ sickle bar #6  
I looked at a sickle bar a few years ago when I got my M6040. Kind of a complicated system - and expensive. I still mow the driveway edges and down one property line - total of 2.25 miles - with my trusty old riding lawn mower. Pick a day with the wind coming out of the SW and don't get completely covered in dust when I mow.

/ sickle bar
Nice looking attachment, good luck with it.
Have been contemplating making something like it.

I have been using a Sabre for the past several years and has worked pretty good, saved me lots of time. IMAG0404.jpg

/ sickle bar #8  
Is the Befco front mounted or 3 point hitch? My Dad has a 3 point sickle bar and says it is hard to get it hooked up and he uses it for his pond.

3PH mounted. You hook it up to the 3PH, raise it up, hook one end of a chain to the body of the mower and the other end to a higher point on the back of the tractor so that the bottom of the mower will not go below 22" when you lower the 3PH, then you lower the 3PH. The body of the mower is suspended at the constant 22" off the ground by the chain and the 3PH lift arms prevent the mower from moving side to side. In my case, I have to wrap the top end of the chain around one of the ROPS posts. Once you do all of that you are ready to go and the mower works well. But, every time before you mow you have to check the torque on two "conic" bolts that hold in place the part of the mower that provides the reciprocating motion to the sickle blade. And to do that you have to remove a cover. I learned the hard way that if the conic bolts are not torqued well they can come loose and are the devil to put back in. And of course the mower won't work with either or both of these bolts out.

/ sickle bar #9  
Like the setup. :thumbsup:

/ sickle bar
Thanks working some long shifts right now but I hope to get back on it in about a week. this working crap keeps getting in my way.