Sickle mower bent bar repair

/ Sickle mower bent bar repair #1  

Fred McCoy

Tractor
MF 230
My New Holland 455 sickle mowers main bar was bent during transport. A strap holding down broke and went under the tire causing the bar the be bent. Can this be straightened , or build a new one. Haven’t been able to find a replacement . I know I can buy the blade , just haven’t found a bar. Open to suggestions and ideas.
69ED05D9-C5B0-413C-A0E4-EAE812C59EF8.jpeg

/ Sickle mower bent bar repair #2  
I don't see why you can't try to straighten it - slowly and carefully. Really have nothing to lose. May not be successful, but worth a shot.

Maybe check on Craigslist for used ones as a donor. Farm equipment places might even have old partial ones laying aroun.

Last edited:
   / Sickle mower bent bar repair #3  
You can certainly try but don't be surprised if it develops a case of ripples.
I have seen some that straightened out good and others that didn't.

/ Sickle mower bent bar repair #4  
I guess you've advertised for a junk mower?

/ Sickle mower bent bar repair #5  
Looks like a dandy ditch mower to me.

Maybe the top of a new rose trellis?

I would look for another one. I do not think you will be able to get it completely straight which will cause some extreme wear on the blade.

/ Sickle mower bent bar repair #6  
I could straighten it no problem

/ Sickle mower bent bar repair #7  
Give it try just go slow.

/ Sickle mower bent bar repair
Is it possible to make one? It looks like 3/8” flat bar with a lip on the bottom.

/ Sickle mower bent bar repair #9  
Not sure where you are at but there are plenty of junk NH 450 series mowers around. The sickle bar is usually not the part that caused its useful life to end. In fact most were just because people moved on to haybines. i bought a complete working 455 for $350.

Having said that it is straightenable with time and care - I have seen it done but am not the guy to do it.

/ Sickle mower bent bar repair
Alright guys, got in the shop today. Took everything off the main bar and bent it back pretty stinking straight. Went slow, and was surprised how good it looks. Blocked it up with 4x4’s on one end and drove my tractor on it, slowing getting it to flex back. Finished up the finishing touches by clamping it to my welding table and bouncing on the other end.

Then put the cutter bar in the vise and straightened it up . Moves and slide good now. Thanks for all the replies