Sickle Bar Sickle Mower vs Rotary

/ Sickle Mower vs Rotary #1  

Neil L

Silver Member
Tractor
NH 1925 hydro
Recently purchased a IH 1300 to mow steep banks (terraces ), from level ground top and bottom. I hope the 7' bar won't leave a strip in the middle to hand cut.

My question, is there any disadvantage to leaving the 2-3' plus grass and weeds cut with a sickle mower on the hay field rather than brush hogging. I have no need for, or any impliments to make and store hay this fall.

Also, any warnings or kinks in operating, maintaining this belt driven sickle mower as I have never operated one. Last time I saw one used, it and my grandfather we behind "Nell"

Best, Neil

/ Sickle Mower vs Rotary #2  
I don't know but would imagine that a layer of grass/weeds like that would kill whatever is underneath by denying it sunshine.

Just a guess, though.

/ Sickle Mower vs Rotary #3  
There are no problems with leaving the cut grass there. I used to leave hay in the field if it got rained on before we raked/bailed the hay. However, if you rake the hay into windrows, then you had to bail it and get rid of it (a lot of wasted work).

Joe

/ Sickle Mower vs Rotary #4  
How is the angle of attack controlled on this unit?

The one warning I have heard repeatedly about sickle bar mowers is to "WATCH YOUR FINGERS WHEN STOWING THE BAR!" or you will be watching them on the ground. :(

/ Sickle Mower vs Rotary #5  
Neophyte said:

The one warning I have heard repeatedly about sickle bar mowers is to "WATCH YOUR FINGERS WHEN STOWING THE BAR!" or you will be watching them on the ground. :(

Yep, that's the biggest warning for the operator!!! Second would be to train yourself to not get off the tractor with the mower running. If it's plugged, raise the bar with it running and drop it a couple times. If it's still plugged, with it running and laying on the ground, back up and lift the bar. That will usually dislodge the rabbits nest or whatever is plugging it.

Last warning is about pets. Your dog doesn't know anymore about that mower than you do. When a rabbit is running along ahead of the bar, the dog will join in the chase and you'll cut his feet right off!!!! Teach your dog early to stay away from you when using a sickle mower!!!

/ Sickle Mower vs Rotary #6  
Neil L said:
Recently purchased a IH 1300 to mow steep banks (terraces ), from level ground top and bottom. I hope the 7' bar won't leave a strip in the middle to hand cut.

My question, is there any disadvantage to leaving the 2-3' plus grass and weeds cut with a sickle mower on the hay field rather than brush hogging. I have no need for, or any impliments to make and store hay this fall.

Also, any warnings or kinks in operating, maintaining this belt driven sickle mower as I have never operated one. Last time I saw one used, it and my grandfather we behind "Nell"

Best, Neil

Biggest problem with leaving "crop residue" on the ground (with a sickle bar) is the NEXT time you cut with it, you'll be fighting all that (now rotted) trash trying to plug the cutter bar. If you plan on using a sickle bar to "cut grass", plan on doing it often enough so that you don't accumulate a lot of long clippings.

/ Sickle Mower vs Rotary
Neophyte said:

I just trier out the mower last night, it is great. New experience in steering 7' on right rear and which way to dodge obsticles.

I assume by angle of attack you mean thangl(up or down) of the teeth and not the 7' from the tractor. Don't know will look for adjustment tonight. If any one knows help us both understand

/ Sickle Mower vs Rotary #8  
Neil L said:
I just trier out the mower last night, it is great. New experience in steering 7' on right rear and which way to dodge obsticles.

I assume by angle of attack you mean thangl(up or down) of the teeth and not the 7' from the tractor. Don't know will look for adjustment tonight. If any one knows help us both understand

Real simple.....Adjust legnth of top link.

Where at in Louisville? I'm south of you just a bit in Mt Washington.

/ Sickle Mower vs Rotary
Thanks on the adjustment question. I should have used spell check on the last post.

Very near Polo Fields out US60 near Shelby County

/ Sickle Mower vs Rotary #10  
Neil L said:
Sorry, I meany the angle of the blade from horizontal. For instance, I know some can cut vertically for trimming growth into roadways or at an angle for trimming banks (up or down). Does the end rest on the ground and follow the ground or is it controller by 3PH height or hydraulically?