Side by Side or 4x4

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #111  
My two cents. Started off with a SxS made in the same country as the Virus. Sold to me as a 400cc. Worked well for a year then started getting engine trouble. Managed to look upthe VIN- basically a 180cc scooter engine with CVT integrated.
Tried to get it fixed - the importer had gone bust and the new dealer only had the 400cc version. The body and suspension seemed reasonably well made. 7 grand down the toilet. I was onto a local person (recommended by friends) who bought and converted small Suzuki 4x4s for farm use- no road registration -but he retired or died.

I now have a Mule and I am very happy with it. Much lighter than a truck or truck based SUV, can carry three adults legally - a fourth if no-one is grossly obese, can carry and tow a good load, good in mud in low ratio and diff lock without 4wd which is only required occasionally.
I have seen a lot of accidents- some fatal-with ATVs, few with SxS.
The heavier trucks compact the ground and neither they nor the tractor can go to some places that are accessible to the SXS

So I would advise looking for a good second hand SxS that some rich person is selling as they get new vehicles every couple of years. Just get an independent mechanic to check it over

Last edited:
   / Side by Side or 4x4 #113  
I used to have a MAX 6x6 just like the mud-ox. It was lots of fun but it sure tore up the ground every time you turned.
Had it for a couple years then sold it.

1679491247246.png

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #114  
Same here but the Mudd Ox is on another level with HST on the better models. Fun toys but like the screaming fast SXS too big to go places around here.

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #115  
My wife and I have been looking at getting a side by side for running up and down the mountains in southeast KY. It seems the cheap ones start at about 8000 and they go up from there. The JD Gators can easily be 25000. Even used the resale seems fairly high for what it is.
My daughter was looking at a 2013 RAM 4x4 shortbed - 185000 miles. It was $6500. I took it for a test drive and it seemed fine - it needs a new heater core which I'm factoring in.

I can't really see why the side by sides are so high when a truck like this probably can about everything for just driving around the homestead - and maybe once in a while driving into town.

Why would someone get a gator/side by side if you can get a beater 4x4 truck for less money? What am I missing here?
What are you thoughts on this?
I got rid of an old Dodge Dakota that was only used for running around the farm - got an RTV X900 diesel to take its place. Perfect machine for buzzing around the farm. Unbeatable for moving feed, checking livestock, carrying fence materials, etc. They are also pretty easy to maintain and older kids can safely use them as well.

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #116  
My wife and I have been looking at getting a side by side for running up and down the mountains in southeast KY. It seems the cheap ones start at about 8000 and they go up from there. The JD Gators can easily be 25000. Even used the resale seems fairly high for what it is.
My daughter was looking at a 2013 RAM 4x4 shortbed - 185000 miles. It was $6500. I took it for a test drive and it seemed fine - it needs a new heater core which I'm factoring in.

I can't really see why the side by sides are so high when a truck like this probably can about everything for just driving around the homestead - and maybe once in a while driving into town.

Why would someone get a gator/side by side if you can get a beater 4x4 truck for less money? What am I missing here?
What are you thoughts on this?
Didn’t read all replies but you can’t drive a truck on most of the atv trails in Minnesota.

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #118  
Many trails in Maine are limited to atv/utv's no wider than 60 inches. Trail heads are equipped with gates/ bollards to prevent wider equipment access

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #119  
I think jeeps (cj,yj&tj) fit that 60 inch requirement. Newer ones, not so much.

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #120  
Didn’t read all replies but you can’t drive a truck on most of the atv trails in Minnesota.

You're in Minnesota? What area (wondering if we're neighbors)? I'm around the Paul Bunyan State Forest area.