Side by Side or 4x4

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #151  
Get the truck and also a cheaper golf cart with a bed and knobby tires. A raised golf cart will go 90% of the places you want to go, is cheaper to maintain, and quicker. (not faster, but quicker. sit down and go, not sit down and find neutral, get it started, find forward then start to rev it up. Meanwhile the golf cart is 100 yards across the field). The truck and golf cart makes a lot more sense financially.
Yes, because getting my SxS started and put into drive take me an entire 10 sec. :D

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #153  
“I guess I don't understand why some jeep owners insist on jumping into every question about a UTV and tell the OP that a jeep is better. Maybe we focus on the actual question and start (or add to) other threads about the usefulness of jeeps on rural properties.”

Probably because the title is the OP thread was sxs vs 4x4?

4x4 is a pretty broad category(and even what some consider a utv or sxs!)

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #154  
My wife and I have been looking at getting a side by side for running up and down the mountains in southeast KY. It seems the cheap ones start at about 8000 and they go up from there. The JD Gators can easily be 25000. Even used the resale seems fairly high for what it is.
My daughter was looking at a 2013 RAM 4x4 shortbed - 185000 miles. It was $6500. I took it for a test drive and it seemed fine - it needs a new heater core which I'm factoring in.

I can't really see why the side by sides are so high when a truck like this probably can about everything for just driving around the homestead - and maybe once in a while driving into town.

Why would someone get a gator/side by side if you can get a beater 4x4 truck for less money? What am I missing here?
What are you thoughts on this?
I bought a Kubota RTV-1100 in 2018. Every day, I wish that I had bought a small, used (or even new) truck. I don't hate my RTV (unless I'm going up a hill) but it is one of the dumbest purchases I have ever made when I consider what I could have gotten for the same (or a lot less) $$$.

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #155  
I bought a Kubota RTV-1100 in 2018. Every day, I wish that I had bought a small, used (or even new) truck. I don't hate my RTV (unless I'm going up a hill) but it is one of the dumbest purchases I have ever made when I consider what I could have gotten for the same (or a lot less) $$$.

They are currently selling for a premium, if you want to sell it

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #156  
Sure wish I could take it off your hands and reduce your headaches for you.

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #157  

You probably aren't using the RTV for what it is intended. Nothing wrong with that.
As others have stated, sell it now and find a truck you like.

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #158  
Have you ever drove a side by side?
You never have to put it in neutral to start it, I just leave it in high gear, just press the brake and turn the key. And where I live I can drive the side by side 5 miles into town if I want to.
Yes I have driven SxS's. I thought some do require neutral, but your point is well-taken. For that 5 mile trip into town, that truck I suggested would be the better, more efficient and faster option to go to town and spend that extra $5000 or so I still have in my pocket. I wish we were neighbors, it would be fun to try a 100 yard race from engine off. Loser has to grill the burgers. (<:

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #159  
Yes I have driven SxS's. I thought some do require neutral, but your point is well-taken. For that 5 mile trip into town, that truck I suggested would be the better, more efficient and faster option to go to town and spend that extra $5000 or so I still have in my pocket. I wish we were neighbors, it would be fun to try a 100 yard race from engine off. Loser has to grill the burgers. (<:
Many times when I go to town I’m not in a hurry. It’s just the wife and I taking the Side By Side to take our time drive on a couple different dirt roads to look at a couple farms and drive on a minimum maintenance road around the lake that we live close to, sometimes life is about not being cheap and just having fun.

I didn’t spend $31,000 on a side-by-side to be more efficient or faster. Like I’ve said before we have a side-by-side because we like the trail ride also, we also have a jeep because we like going off-road in to each his own. I guess some people you just can’t be convinced to have some fun, but they spend their money on what they want and I spend my money on what I want.

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #160  
You probably aren't using the RTV for what it is intended. Nothing wrong with that.
As others have stated, sell it now and find a truck you like.
And what is it intended? I use it for lots of hauling and dumping. I recognize that it'll go places I couldn't get a truck and I take it into the woods sometimes. Maybe I should have bought a different one. It's handy and, as I said, I don't hate it but I feel it cost more than it's value to me.