Silverisch substance between engine and cylinder head

/ Silverisch substance between engine and cylinder head #1  

marcelPL

Silver Member
Tractor
iseki TX1500 and TX1300F
My Iseki tx1500 had problem starting. So I took it apart (again) and found that one of the injectors was kaputt.

I have a spare engine lying around, so decided to take injectors from this one. But like always they were not the same fitting, so I started to just replace the complete cylinder head.

Taking off the cylinder head, I saw some silverisch substance under it. The gasket was still reasonable intact.

But I also saw that this substance had also blocked 1 or 2 inlets for the cooling water. Which is probably the reason why one of my injectors died.

Has anyone ever seen or heard about this?

Also: is there any way I can clean the cooling system? Any stuff I can use for that?

It doesn't seem to make sense to put everything back together, and have the same thing happening in a week or a month...

Thx for all input,
M.View attachment 812487
IMG_20230723_075257_1.jpg

/ Silverisch substance between engine and cylinder head #2  
That looks like it was part of the head gasket. They used to coat them with a non-stick coating but that usually caused blown head gaskets. The stuff I used to use was gold color spray and remained sticky. Perhaps someone used silver paint or anti-seize on yours. I think the current thought is don't use anything on new head gaskets. A clean machined surface is best.

/ Silverisch substance between engine and cylinder head #3  
The silver substance may be just part of the gasket material. As far as it blocking cooling passages, it may be by design to block those passages with the gasket. Just because there is a passage, it doesn't mean that you want it full flowing with coolant. The gasket may partially block or fully block the passage. Here is an article by Felpro gasket company explaining this subject:

Do Size and Position of Coolant Holes on Head Gaskets affect overheating?