Simple WOOD STOVE Build

/ Simple WOOD STOVE Build #1  

DIRTROAD

Platinum Member
Tractor
MF231, MF240, CAT D4K2
I wanted to build a larger woodstove for my shop and keep it as simple as possible.
Wood Stove 007.jpg

I started with an insert that was in my basement fireplace and was very inadequate and inefficient. I cut the entire face plate off of the insert and, after cleaning it up, I welded it to a piece of 26"x1/2" pipe that I made 32" long. Doing it this way I didn't have to make any custom doors.
Wood Stove 008.jpg Wood Stove 009.jpg

After that, I just closed in the other end of the pipe with an old piece of checker plate that I had laying around and added an exhaust. I also put reinforcements on the inside of the back wall of the stove to prevent warping.
Wood Stove 003.jpgWood Stove 004.jpg

Then I went back and trimmed the excess from the front face plate to make it round like the rest of the stove. I started to leave it square, but I figured the extra would just get in my way in the shop.

Wood Stove 002.jpgWood Stove 006.jpg
Wood Stove 005.jpg

I already had all the materials except for the exhaust pipe, which I gave $10 for. I roughly figured my total cost of this build to be around $75. That covers the torch gas, welding rods, grinder discs, and that exhaust pipe that I had to purchase.

The pipe itself weighs 103 pounds per foot, so I estimate the weight of the entire stove to be around 400 pounds.

I just lit the first fire in it and it seems to be working excellent.

/ Simple WOOD STOVE Build
Here's a few more pics. I love the large size because I can throw whole logs in without having to split them (once a good fire and bed of coals is established). The round design seems to be working very well also. It feels like it is putting out an extreme amount of heat. It seems to be drawing excellent also.

Fire in the hole 001.jpg
Fire in the hole 003.jpgFire in the hole 005.jpg

/ Simple WOOD STOVE Build #3  
Nice job.

How much distance between it and concrete floor ?, looks close, no worries about getting to hot and cracking ?

/ Simple WOOD STOVE Build #4  
Good job, looks like it makes a lot of heat.

/ Simple WOOD STOVE Build
There is only 1" between the extreme bottom of the stove and the floor. I could put my hands on the floor a while ago and it wasn't too hot. It seems like the round design is forcing the heat to rise up and since there isn't a flat bottom to trap the heat it's not too hot. I've only had a fire going since about 3:30 though. I'm sure it will get warmer, but I poured the floor 6" thick so I think it should be OK.

/ Simple WOOD STOVE Build #6  
I like it! Reminds me of one I built years ago by sliding a water heater shell into a 55 gallon barrel and using a barrel stove kit for door and exhaust. I put a firebrick baffle in it and it did great. Used it for many years. Yours has a lot more fit and finish! :thumbsup:

/ Simple WOOD STOVE Build #7  
Good job DIRT.

Aluminum foil or bright sheet metal under it will alleviate any floor heat problems you may encounter.

/ Simple WOOD STOVE Build #8  
Nice job.

How much distance between it and concrete floor ?, looks close, no worries about getting to hot and cracking ?

Doesn't heat rise ??

The floor around my stove in the garage (shop) doesn't get hot even when fire wide open and roaring to heat metal so I wouldn't worry:)

/ Simple WOOD STOVE Build #9  
Here's a few more pics. I love the large size because I can throw whole logs in without having to split them (once a good fire and bed of coals is established). The round design seems to be working very well also. It feels like it is putting out an extreme amount of heat. It seems to be drawing excellent also.

View attachment 246467
View attachment 246468View attachment 246469

That looks like it will get very hot, nice job

Is the stove pipe outside and are you worried that it may not draw in extreme cold conditions.

Just a thought:)

/ Simple WOOD STOVE Build #10  
Man, that thing looks like a BTU generating monster! Good Job