single cylinder 20 hp LT

/ single cylinder 20 hp LT #1  

frank_f15

Super Member, Rest in Peace
Tractor
kubota b2400- R4 tires
JUST wondering the pro's and con of of a 1 cylinder 18/20 hp LT . i seem to want to stay away from that don't know why but just my thought. any ideas about that? which is better or more durable ?

/ single cylinder 20 hp LT #2  
Frank, what version of engine and make are you refering to. They have some new ones out that we are unsure of but I don't run away from a good well balanced single cylinder.

/ single cylinder 20 hp LT
the 2 engines i was looking at were both KOHLER COURAGE OHV engines

/ single cylinder 20 hp LT #4  
Hi,

In general I find singles cause a more vibration than the twins.

/ single cylinder 20 hp LT #5  
Frank:

All things being otherwise equal, a single will probably have a slower throttle response than a twin simply because it will probably have a heavier flywheel to help smooth out the engine. That's also probably academic because on a tractor you won't notice that like you would on an automobile or motorcycle. Fewer moving parts should mean cheaper repairs; less to break and less to replace.

Given the same grade engine from the same manufacturer, I'd probably worry more about the rest of the tractor rather than whether one engine will hold up better. The Twin should be smoother.

/ single cylinder 20 hp LT #6  
Pros to a twin are as mentioned they are smoother, and displacement being equal the twin will generally use a little less gas. The twin does have more moving parts, but it will last every bit as long as a single with proper maintenance. Maybe the only con is the twin has an additional plug to be replaced at tune up time. Just about any modern small engine will easily run the life of the tractor it is bolted in to. -Fordlords-

/ single cylinder 20 hp LT
thanks for the input guys, but if i HAVE to replace my 14 yr. old get i pretty much lean towards a 2 cylinder which is what i have on my current GT.