Sizing 12 v radiator fan for riding mower....

/ Sizing 12 v radiator fan for riding mower....
Probably yes, and what i wanted to do....but I am afraid of the extra load on the starter..... Maybe someone out there with more automotive electronics could give us that answer.

I'll be able to hear it when the motor shuts off which I hope to train myself to remind me to flip the switch.

:thumbsup: K7LN.... I like... So I'm thinking that would have the fan turn on when the Key is ON and not interfere when I turn the key to Start...
Not sure how to do it. You lost me with: " The extra load would be the load current of the fan through the ignition switch. So then you use an automotive relay to carry the load current of the fan." If you would suggest a relay type I would be super grateful.

Here are my diagrams....

Many thanks....

Dickey Joe

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 324
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 267
:cool2::cool2: Very cool....

There is a 12 v cigarette lighter power point receptacle allready on the dash. Would it help if I tapped into that wiring?

Dang... Sure wish I understood wiring better.

I'm going to follow your earlier suggestion which sounds good enough for me and will try to take some pictures.

Hey,what if this fan blows enough to cause a lift on the rear end :laughing:
A Hover Mower! :laughing:

/ Sizing 12 v radiator fan for riding mower.... #16  
Fan should help, but for the life of me I can't understand the opposition to adding a tranny cooler, which would cool the existing oil AND increase the capacity which would increase the amount of time that it takes to get hot, thereby giving the cooling capacity longer time to work before the oil is required to be used again (if that makes sense). If just cooling the oil could be done, what would be the reason for having seriously increased oil capacities in larger trucks? Why not save the oil and cool a qt or so ?
David from jax

Very true, my son would agree AND the fan might not make any difference.

Problem is, I've not seen any good path for adding an oil cooler to this tranny. The Tuff Torq repair guys don't see how it can be done without some serious compromise of the casting to set up the oil flow pathway, not to mention the strategy of how to figure the hydraulics of getting the oil to flow.

/ Sizing 12 v radiator fan for riding mower.... #18  
Tackling those obstacles would be a challenge. I was working off typical not actual knowledge of your machine. Figured the oil had to be moving somewhere, and just plumb in a cooler... but if it ain't... it ain't.
David from jax

Got her done and it runs fine. One question for K7LN... The fan unit is rated at 3.2 amps. Without the fuse it did draw exactly 3.2 amps.With the fuse it draws 4.2 amps. I had to use a 7.5 amp buss fuse after it burned a 5 amp fuse. Is this a problem?

Thanks again for all of the comments. Now I just hope I get a cooler tranny.

Here are some shots of my handiwork and my dirty mower.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    494 KB · Views: 217
  • image (2).jpeg
    image (2).jpeg
    470.4 KB · Views: 179
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    453.2 KB · Views: 211
Am using blade type buss fuses. I used 16 gauge wire, but the fuse is 18 gauge. So is the fan. So was thinking the power draw should not be different. Yes, my tests were on the battery with engine off.

Have yet to do the field test.....

All that air blowing under me should at least cool the keester.:laughing: