Skid loader splitter on farm tractor

/ Skid loader splitter on farm tractor #1  

jim swyers

Tractor
1998--1920 New holland
How do I adapt a skid loader mounted log splitter to use on my Ls tractor using my hydraulics from front end loader???

/ Skid loader splitter on farm tractor #2  
How do I adapt a skid loader mounted log splitter to use on my Ls tractor using my hydraulics from front end loader???

Consider the flow rates of a skid steer to most tractors (you did not mention what LS tractor you have. Bigger tractors have more flow rate, but still usually much lower than SS units) you will have depending on the splitter very slow response to not enough flow to work the splitter.
A pto pump might get you near the flow rate you need.
You need to know your tractors rate flow rate and the min flow rate for the splitter. If these numbers are not close, you need a different hydraulic source.

/ Skid loader splitter on farm tractor #3  
You most likely don't as Coy mentioned...skid steer hydraulics are often much more powerful than a tractor. Mine is 16 gpm off the front and is pretty high for a tractor. Lots of high flow skid steers push 40 gpm.

Lets start with the flow rate required for the implement. Once you have that, we look at the flow rate of your machine. You need to also double check psi requirements on the implement and your machine just to be sure they work. I do all hydraulics on the loader from my 3rd function valves and am not certain they are the same as the loader valves but maybe someone else can comment once you provide more specifics.

/ Skid loader splitter on farm tractor #4  
you shouldnt have any trouble with the hydraulic cyclinder .
my LS3025 with a splitter off of the remote is athe same as with a 10 hp briggs and a 16 gpm pump . i run my splitter off a bobcat / tractor /or a 10 hp motor it mounts with the quick attach to a T trailer

/ Skid loader splitter on farm tractor #5  
You most likely don't as Coy mentioned...skid steer hydraulics are often much more powerful than a tractor. Mine is 16 gpm off the front and is pretty high for a tractor. Lots of high flow skid steers push 40 gpm.
Flow rate has NOTHING to do with "power"...

Flow rate has to do with speed, the little tractor will have just as much power on the hydraulics as the bigger tractor, as long as the two have near the same psi output.

SR

/ Skid loader splitter on farm tractor #6  
Flow rate has NOTHING to do with "power"...

Flow rate has to do with speed, the little tractor will have just as much power on the hydraulics as the bigger tractor, as long as the two have near the same psi output.

SR

I mean power to do work. Surely you can agree that higher flow will allow you to do more work with an implement meant for said flow rate.

/ Skid loader splitter on farm tractor #7  
I mean power to do work. Surely you can agree that higher flow will allow you to do more work with an implement meant for said flow rate.

The skid steer is probably going to have more psi than the tractor possibly a lot more which would equal more power. But he’s right flow rate and pressure are completely different.

/ Skid loader splitter on farm tractor #8  
Like said in a combination of the other posts..

My experience with home builds has been to work backwards a bit.. First you look up a cylinder size to find what gpm it requires to have an average cycle time.. Then you match that to the gpm available over and above what is required to run the tractor..

If a tractor has X gpm total flow, it will only have a fraction of X available for the splitter.. This figure from your owners manual or tractordata.com .....

Several hydraulic parts suppliers will have a chart for gpm requirements for cylinders..

Pictures of your final assembly....

/ Skid loader splitter on farm tractor #9  
Note your gpm and pressure and I’ll give you my two cents, I’ve built a tractor splitter in the past. There are requirements or else you’re going to have an expensive paperweight on your hands.

/ Skid loader splitter on farm tractor #10  
Dont put hours on your expensive tractor when you could spend $200-300 more on a normal log splitter with a cheap gas engine. In some cases these hydraulic splitters cost more than a big box store splitter with a gas engine.