skid shed build on house trailer?

/ skid shed build on house trailer? #1  

ArlyA

Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
Tractor
Polaris Boss 6x6 with pods (tracks) Center actuating lawn mower by Husky
Folks, Over the years I've had to build a few skid sheds and we're now contemplating another. Although, this one will be different and far more mobile. The next one might be 12x16 or 18ft in length and need to make it more mobile than the usual skid shed is. With that idea, I was considering the purchase of a retired mobile home frame, which we can get for maybe $500 and cut it down to the size needed and build the "skid shed" on top of that. I of course realize that mobile home frames are pretty light, and to compensate, cut it down to the size this building will need to be, effectively making it strong enough for the 30 miles per year in might need to be moved. Camper frames are pretty light as well but those frame are also available here. We have friends who do the same thing but use 8x16 enclosed trailers which have no features like translucent glass we can get add to this shed. Crazy idea??

Here is the thread of the last skid shed we build.

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/377130-14x20-skid-shed-build.html

/ skid shed build on house trailer? #2  
I had a 29' camper that burned several years back. I sold the frame on craigslist to a guy that was going to build a hunting cabin on it. It was his 2nd cabin built this way. So, crazy? I dont think so.

/ skid shed build on house trailer? #3  
Trailer house frames are tall but not very wide which means if you are dragging the shed around the beams may try to roll on you if you pull it at an angle. If you choose to use them be sure to brace the beams well for side pulling. I built a frame for a cab over camper a few years ago and used material from a trailer house tongue. I had to be careful of much side pull when winching it onto my trailer due to the beams trying to roll. You can't see the frame much in the picture but you can get the idea.
IMG_1053.JPG
You might consider pricing out 6" wide flange beams, they would be a lot stronger. That is what I used when I built my 12' X 12' shed but it was going to be drug around a lot and drug up onto a trailer.

/ skid shed build on house trailer?
If the original house was some width like 14ft and we narrowed it by cutting off some amount of the frames original wings, not the main frame itself or its axles. Which would be waaaaaay to much work anyway. Yes this would be a tall shed, but the axles and frame stringers would remain there original width.

Trailer house frames are tall but not very wide which means if you are dragging the shed around the beams may try to roll on you if you pull it at an angle. If you choose to use them be sure to brace the beams well for side pulling. I built a frame for a cab over camper a few years ago and used material from a trailer house tongue. I had to be careful of much side pull when winching it onto my trailer due to the beams trying to roll. You can't see the frame much in the picture but you can get the idea.
View attachment 581822
You might consider pricing out 6" wide flange beams, they would be a lot stronger. That is what I used when I built my 12' X 12' shed but it was going to be drug around a lot and drug up onto a trailer.

Last edited:
   / skid shed build on house trailer? #5  
If the original house was some width like 14ft and we narrowed it by cutting off some amount the frame wings, not the main frame itself or its axles. Which would be waaaay to much work anyway. Yes this would be a tall shed, but the axles and frame stringers would remain there original width.

My mistake, when you said you were skidding it around, I took that to mean you would take the axles out from under it and just skid the frame on the ground. If you are pulling it around on the axles then it shouldn't be a problem.

/ skid shed build on house trailer?
If anyone has experience at doing this, please comment. When doing google searches about this, "tiny house" projects sure comes up plenty!