Skid steer comparison

/ Skid steer comparison #1  

Garrett2006

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2706e
Looking for advice on the the comparison between the ASV 75HD & Kubota 95-2s. The unit will be used for grading, Bush hogging & the occasional mulching Jobs once I buy a mulching head. I know the 95-2s has more horsepower and a little more hydraulic GPM, but the 75HD was build for mulching . Not sure how well the 75HD will perform with grading due to not having the weight of the 95-2s. What痴 others think that own or might have run both or each? Thanks! Looking to buy one of the two before in of this month.

/ Skid steer comparison #2  
The ASV undercarriage is an expensive can of worms in comparison to the much more traditional type on the Kubota (or Cat, NH, Gehl, Case, JD, Bobcat, Wacker, Komatsu or Tak). They do ride nice, but at a big price with the complexity and sheer amount of parts that will need to be replaced. Then there's the ownership of ASV, is't been handed around more than Chrysler's in recent years. A buddy has one, I've operated it and it is a nice machine but it has had more than it's share of issues and it wouldn't be on my list of candidates for the above reasons. To be fair, most of my experience with the (ASV) undercarriage is from stories from CAT guy's with the machines with the ASV bottom and Heavy Equipment forums. And the ASV bottom does out perform the alternate in some situations, it's just built a little to fragile IMHO. ASV (iirc) developed that basic undercarriage for snow equipment where the hazards are much "gentler" that dirt or woods work.

/ Skid steer comparison #3  
The ASV will be a much more comfortable ride...but will require more maintenance every 4-500 hours. If I were in your position I would go with the Kubota

/ Skid steer comparison #4  
experience = cousin owns an asvRC85, pre Terex, ive ran it a bit, rides great, runs great with teh perkins powerplant, no lack for anyting i needed at the time, I was grading, pushing, digging, not mulching
rented an SVL75-2, more rough to ride, short on power at times but manageable, sluggish/delayed hydraulics may have needed adjusting?
worked with SVL95-2 , contracted the guy with a turbo type saw to take down a couple acres of large trees - he had just traded up from a SVL90 and said it was significantly more feel of response/power and keeping saw running, he also has a mulcher and said he really noticed the difference keeping the drum spun up.

I will say concur, more maint on the ASV tracks as more moving parts, ASV went downhill when Terex was building but since they went back to their own company owned units and parted ways, from what i have heard the quality/build is much better

myself from running machines, you probably wouldnt notice 1gpm on normal work but 5gpm in hi-flow would be more noticed. The ASV has 200 more lbs of hydraulic pressure so that might help keep things spooled up a little better with the reduction in HP to keep things spun up, that is where the jewel lies, when it starts loading and the motor pulls down, it will take longer to spin things back up with the reduction in HP - the only way you could really know is drive one into the same pile of brush and TIME it and experience the lag.

mulching and hydraulic motors take some serious flow/hp to keep running, that is why they make things so heavy to keep their momentum, not to mention the 2300 lbs of weight difference, THAT is HUGE, when it comes to comfort and tossing you aroudn in there when lifting, lowering, tilting, moving, mulchers and mowers are HEAVY and will ROCK a machine and it wears on you.

I know what i would do but its not my money and you have to be satisified NOT ME - if its a budget thing, if you are just doing things for yourself, if you are not riding in it all day and in a hurry trying to make money, if someone else will be running it, etc.......all things to weigh in.

ASV makes a bigger machine too!!!

/ Skid steer comparison #5  
On youtube you can find a head to head comparison between and asv and a cat each at 75 hp. The asv clearly out performs the cat. Before purchasing my asv I rented a Kubota 75 hp. Rough riding and slow. My 60 hp asv can move just as much dirt as the rented Kubota if not more. There are comparisons of tractive pull as well on youtube. If I were of a mind to buy a new machine it would be asv hands down. Do your due diligence. I found youtube to be a great source of info.

/ Skid steer comparison #6  
My little RC-30 is 15 years old- Pre Cat, Pre Terex, and I haven't had any significant issues. The low ground pressure when I travel over really nice turf is hard to imagine- but skeptical people have to relay they were not believing what they witnessed. And conversely, I own land that is Hammock land, can be wet, and with gray clayey and white clayey sand, when I do traverse low wet spots, I can create mud slurry that I can travel through fully loaded. This mud sticks to any tire tread and loads it up, and you will not get traction. I have to pull 4wd trucks out of it. My 4wd Mits Ag tractor has R4 bar treads, and its safe to use in that kind of mud, but only if the box or bushog deck donnt get hung up. I see you are in Texas Coast- you may be familiar with Gumbo. This is what I can encounter on my own land. I wouldn't have any other machine, and I have used most brands as I don't always take my small machine with me out of town. If I can't rent an ASV, I gotta use something....

I am not in business any longer, but I do use my machine building disc golf courses and do a lot of selective clearing and grubbing, some as small as single track Enduro trails and MTB trails. I have four or five Landscapers and or Bobcat Operators that call me frequently, because I have a machine that will fit into backyards, where theirs wont. Even, Buildig contractors who ask me to regrade small lots, or drive into commercial buildings to hustle demo like concrete rubble- I can fit in/under a glass door header. It pays for fuel and oils, and tires on my trailers.....

/ Skid steer comparison #7  
I don't think you can go wrong with the Kubota. Not for quality and not for resale.

A friend got a used TEREX TL, that looked pretty good. It is an electrical nightmare. The poor man has never once been able to jump in it and use it for anything.

/ Skid steer comparison #8  
Garrett, which machine did you end up with? I'm looking at a Kubota SVL75 and a ASV RT75

/ Skid steer comparison #9  
If you are planning on really doing a lot of mulching, neither machine is best. Either the ASV RT-120 or, if you want conventional CTL undercarriage, the Takeuchi TL12x2 (x = either V or R for Vertical or Radial lift, you choice on which you get). You need power and hydraulic flow and both of these are class leading.