Skid Steer Loader Homemade Log Splitter Build

/ Skid Steer Loader Homemade Log Splitter Build #11  
Here are some pics of my splitter.It rotates on A hub & spindle off A 3/4 ton pick-up.I didn't get pivot point just right,but I can still rotate it fairly easily.I can split most pieces at least twice, & some of the bigger ones even more. I split most of A cord & never get off the machine.With A little practice you can stack as you split. Mike

Attachments

• splitter 001.jpg
    splitter 001.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 9,371
  • splitter 002.jpg
    splitter 002.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 6,148
  • splitter 003.jpg
    splitter 003.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 1,552
   / Skid Steer Loader Homemade Log Splitter Build #12  
Somebody's been wearing their thinkin' cap. Nice!

/ Skid Steer Loader Homemade Log Splitter Build
Somebody's been wearing their thinkin' cap. Nice!

I wish you were talkin' about me Rusty, but you're right, Mike has a bright idea there.

We thought about doing this but like others have said, we're just using this one to bust down the big boy pieces and use a regular splitter to do the fine splitting.

/ Skid Steer Loader Homemade Log Splitter Build #14  
Man, I have been loosing sleep the last few nights wanting to build the same thing. Then I found this thread! You all have given me some great ideas and practical ways to do what I want to accomplish. I watched the videos and the multiple wedge looks good and the sliding mechanizm looks well made. The spinning splitter looks interesting do you think a hydraulic auger with this type of head would be something to consider? I really want to be able to stay on the machine and use the splitter so I thought visibility on the underneath splitter would be a big issue. I have also thought that rotating the splitter would be handy sometimes. Do you think it is possible to use this attachment for other things? Like interchangeable heads on the cylinder to grab large stones, scrap metal, construction debri etc? It's probably better to make something simple that works and then find/build another tool.

/ Skid Steer Loader Homemade Log Splitter Build #15  
Man, I have been loosing sleep the last few nights wanting to build the same thing. Then I found this thread! You all have given me some great ideas and practical ways to do what I want to accomplish. I watched the videos and the multiple wedge looks good and the sliding mechanizm looks well made. The spinning splitter looks interesting do you think a hydraulic auger with this type of head would be something to consider? I really want to be able to stay on the machine and use the splitter so I thought visibility on the underneath splitter would be a big issue. I have also thought that rotating the splitter would be handy sometimes. Do you think it is possible to use this attachment for other things? Like interchangeable heads on the cylinder to grab large stones, scrap metal, construction debri etc? It's probably better to make something simple that works and then find/build another tool.

A SS mount (pre) splitter is on my build list also, but lately I've been thinking of mounting a "cone" type screw splitter on my hyd post hole digger. I had thought that those things were lone gone (the old take the wheel off the truck units) but I've seen them on ebay still. I just wonder if it would need a "leg" or something sticking out to prevent the log from spinning around? I would just be using it on big rounds to break them down to splitter size. I guess that another plus for the cone/screw type would be that the logs to be split would not have to be positioned horiz. for a trad cyl/wedge set up.

/ Skid Steer Loader Homemade Log Splitter Build
Ok, I have some good welds on it now, plus a coat of paint. 5x24 Nortrac cylinder on order from Northern Tool.

101_0978.jpg

101_0977.jpg

101_0976.jpg

/ Skid Steer Loader Homemade Log Splitter Build #17  
We have used the woodcat already since there made in Elkhart IN, which is a 25 min drive, but they wanted close to $3600 for it, does make it very handy having it on the bottom. bought a ramspiltter in the crate for $725 at an auction. Works super

Hey Lance do you have any picture of this finished... I know its been awhile but im thinking of making one for my cat 226 skid loader.

thanks Don L

/ Skid Steer Loader Homemade Log Splitter Build #18  
I know it's easier but how much time is lost trying to line up the pieces to be split? Then, how hard is it to re split the split pieces? Assuming it is an upside down splitter like in your pic.
I never quite understood the thinking behind tying up a 30K piece of equipment when a 1K piece will work just fine.