Skid steer vs. tractor for hobby farm use

/ Skid steer vs. tractor for hobby farm use #11  
I'm in agreement with those on the limited utility of the skid steer, we had one for about two or three months thinking we might buy one. It was handy as heck for a lot of things, but I had to follow around behind it smoothing the tracks and traveling any distance was punishing. We still rent them and got a LOT of work done on our farm last year, but I would never consider owning one in lieu of a good tractor.

/ Skid steer vs. tractor for hobby farm use #12  
The models I'm considering are Kubota L3240, New Holland TC35D, TC40D. Not sure what class they fall into, but with appropriate rear weights and loader they can all lift 1000# to full height. In any case I will be using a SSQA bucket so that bales will be lifted with a bale spear attachment rather than bucket clip-ons.

David

When you start lifting 1000# to full height, small tractors (and skid steers) get very tippy, especially if the ground is not perfectly level and solid. Bigger is better for such operations. A bigger wheelbase (especially wider) and more weight make a big difference.

I think the Kubota L series are "compact" tractors, the M series are utilitity tractors. For example, the M5040 is around #5000 and a bigger wheelbase than the L series.

Also, ag tires are not as stiff and tend to flatten out (e.g. shift) with heavy loader weights.

/ Skid steer vs. tractor for hobby farm use #13  
Get a tractor

/ Skid steer vs. tractor for hobby farm use #14  
I own a New Holland TC45D utility tractor with a hydrostatic transmission and 4WD. It is in my opinion the "Swiss Army Knife" of utility tractors it has the quick attach bucket/pallet fork option and a standard Cat 1 three point hitch. Skid steers have their place but, as stated are tippy and not very turf friendly when turning.
My only disappointment with the New Holland is the super steer feature, touted by the dealer as the wave of the future. Wrong. The super steer option is a pita for accurate placement of pallet loads or swapping between the dirt bucket and pallet forks in that there is no last minute correction by turning the steering wheel. Turn the wheel to the right, front end tends to drift to the left. I love the tractor however.

/ Skid steer vs. tractor for hobby farm use #15  
IMO given the limited specific tasks you have in mind I'd go for an articulated loader.

Something similar to this machine we use would be ideal; compared to any skid steer - it'll pick up c.1500lbs + to a greater height, has far better ground clearance, is simpler/cheaper to work on/maintain, turns on a dime & due to it's articulation doesn't chop the ground up, hyrdo drive with diff locks Frt/Rear means its almost unstoppable - grab a levelling bar on the 4/1 & you can also simultaneously pull the drag around the arena to get it into shape qucikly.
Cost us c.5K (in Australia) so they should be cheaper/easier to find in the 'States & equvalent units are are available s/h under Hitachi, Komatsu, Yanmar, TCM..brands..etc.

Attachments

• TBN23052013.jpg
    TBN23052013.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 379
  • TBN23052013a.jpg
    TBN23052013a.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 452
   / Skid steer vs. tractor for hobby farm use #16  
I have a TC40DA with quick attach loader and bale spear. Have used it for everything you talk about. Works well. Also have a baby skid steer to get in and out of really narrow doors to clean out barn, but use that less and less for the reasons the others wrote about.

/ Skid steer vs. tractor for hobby farm use #17  
A CUT you may want to at least look at is the Mahindra Max28XL. It is strong for it's size. FEL cap of 1400lbs and 3pt cap of 2200lbs.

I like mine :thumbsup:

/ Skid steer vs. tractor for hobby farm use #18  
Tractor. Size the loader @ 24" (or 500mm) ahead of the pins and allow for 1/3 over capacity beyond the average wt. of your bales. No need to work the tractor at it's capacity day in day out. A 35'x80' building is plenty big enough to maneuver a 4-5,000lb tractor in.

AKfish

/ Skid steer vs. tractor for hobby farm use #19  
Tractor. I have both, similar horse farm as yours. Stated ss problems very real. SS sounds like it should be a great farm machine, but isn't, better suited for construction IMHO. Selling my ss proving difficult, will take a big loss.

/ Skid steer vs. tractor for hobby farm use #20  
For what its worth. I have a skid and more tractors than most. The skid sits most of the time. Don't get me wrong. It has its use, and as a dedicated small loader its impossible to beat as long as your not concerned about tearing up the ground and the ground is either dry or you have some sort of tracks (without tracks a skid is worthless in muddy conditions.)

I wouldn't want to give up my skid but if it came down to having the skid or a tractor, Id go for the tractor every time.

In your case I would be looking at the largest of compacts (mahindra 5035 comes to mind) or make the move up to a utility tractor. Hay is not only heavy its bulky and puts the weight a long ways out. On my last tractor purchase I looked long and hard at my options and ended up going with a used 2002 TN75D and I have to say I really enjoy that tractor. The power shuttle makes it nicer for chore work than even my 2012 TD5050 with mechanical shuttle. And with filled rears its very stable moving big round bales.

I've used the TN to drag my arenas but its honestly just a bit big for that though it will do it for sure. I usually use either a Kawasaki Mule, or an old Ford 3000 for arena dragging duties. The smaller package over all works better especially in my smaller indoor arena.

If your wanting to move hay on the front loader Id not look at machines less than 5000 pounds. Weight really is your friend here.