Skidsteer concrete breaker?

/ Skidsteer concrete breaker? #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
I know this is a tractor forum but thought you guys could help. :)

Tomorrow I'm renting a concrete breaker for my 763 Bobcat.

The concrete I have to break up is a solid 3 foot wide by 3 foot wide block that extends 2 feet above grade and goes down into the ground 5 feet. I only need to break up the block to a depth of 6 inches below grade. Whats left after that can stay in the ground.

I've never used a breaker. What would be the best approach? Should I try and enter the block horizontally low to the ground and break the top off and then work my way down or should I start at the top (vertically) on top of the block and break my way down? I don't know what is faster or if trying to go horizontally is not even practical.

If you start working in a straight line, top down, can you get a crack going usually? I'm not sure what to expect with something this thick.

Also, there is some rebar in it. When I encounter rebar, am I going to need to use a cut-off tool to cut it or can I set the breaker bit on it and break it that way?

Right now I have my steel tracks on the machine. I don't need them on the machine any more. Before I take them off, would there be any benefit to having the tracks on for tomorrow or should I just go ahead and remove them today?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated! Thank you!

/ Skidsteer concrete breaker? #2  
I know this is a tractor forum but thought you guys could help. :)

Tomorrow I'm renting a concrete breaker for my 763 Bobcat.

The concrete I have to break up is a solid 3 foot wide by 3 foot wide block that extends 2 feet above grade and goes down into the ground 5 feet. I only need to break up the block to a depth of 6 inches below grade. Whats left after that can stay in the ground.

I've never used a breaker. What would be the best approach? Should I try and enter the block horizontally low to the ground and break the top off and then work my way down

I wouldn't. In my experience (I know that means nothing in operating machinery to some of the "experts" here) entering the bit horizontally might bend or break the bit if you use any lift with the loader arms.

or should I start at the top (vertically) on top of the block and break my way down? I don't know what is faster or if trying to go horizontally is not even practical.

That would be my approach.

If you start working in a straight line, top down, can you get a crack going usually? I'm not sure what to expect with something this thick.

It really depends on the concrete. I've seen some old concrete give out pretty easily and some just comes off in little chunks. You won't know until you get underway.

Also, there is some rebar in it. When I encounter rebar, am I going to need to use a cut-off tool to cut it or can I set the breaker bit on it and break it that way?

You will have to cut it off with an abrasive wheel. Bring one with you. The breaker point or chisel is not designed to cut rebar.

Right now I have my steel tracks on the machine. I don't need them on the machine any more. Before I take them off, would there be any benefit to having the tracks on for tomorrow or should I just go ahead and remove them today?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated! Thank you!

I would wait until after your project, unless the tracks will be damaging the surface below. The reason I suggest that is it can be unwise to fix something that's not broken the night before a job. Might cause you to lose your whole day tomorrow. Get your job done, then take tracks off. I remember once when I was inexperienced, deciding to change my oil in one of my dumptrucks before a snowstorm. I spun on a new filter and crossed the threads ruining it. Couldn't get a new filter till next day and old one was punctured to drain oil. Never forgot that to this day.

/ Skidsteer concrete breaker? #3  
What Builder says X2

/ Skidsteer concrete breaker? #4  
Pretty darn good info from Builder. Most times start in a corner with the bit at slight angle towards the outside. It'll chip it right off. Don't try to take too big a chunk at a time, within a few minutes you'll get the feel as to how tough the concrete is and how to attack it with the bit. Slight pressure downward, usually just to where you feel the front start to lift off ground to keep good pressure on the bit. The cutoff wheel works great but so will a battery sawzall with metal blade for reaching into the cracks to cut the rebar.

I have tracks on my New Holland LS170 and very seldom take them off, adds a lot of stability and smoothness to the ride and also traction so you won't be digging up a yard trying to stay in one spot with the hammer. Steady pressure against the bit with a wee bit of forward power and downward pressure from the boom will let the hammer do its job. Don't rush it and it won't beat you up. But if you are on concrete or other hard surface it's like being on ice with steel tracks so then it might be better to have either rubber tracks or reg tires.

/ Skidsteer concrete breaker? #5  
What they said...

Just don't try to take too much at one time. You can get the bit stuck in the concrete. Try to break off pieces rather than trying to break the large block.