Skidsteer vs Compact tractor

/ Skidsteer vs Compact tractor #1  

94BULLITT

Tractor
yes
What will push more snow? A skidsteer that weighs 6000 or 7000lbs or a compact 4wd tractor that weighs the same, both with industrial tires?

/ Skidsteer vs Compact tractor #2  
If weight and tires are the same, neither will push more than the other. Weight and traction are the only two variables, and if equal... well.

/ Skidsteer vs Compact tractor #3  
Weight is needed to move weight and often the more the better. Not going to say that operator technique wouldn't enter in a bit to!

/ Skidsteer vs Compact tractor #4  
If we're talking just using bucket or same size plow(keeping terrain weight etc the same) then an SS will out maneuver a tractor hands down. But in all honesty these are two very different machines and are about as comparable as a washing machine and a power washer.

/ Skidsteer vs Compact tractor #5  
plowboys right but if you have a tractor i would use it i tractor has a 3pt who would wanta back up in a skid loader to use a 3pt attachment

/ Skidsteer vs Compact tractor
I am forgot to say that both are using the same plow. I was just wondering if one would out push the i.e. the one only pushes 18" and the other will push 20" with same operator.

/ Skidsteer vs Compact tractor #7  
i would pick tractor over a skidsteer when dealing with snow. more so a tractor with a FEL (front end loader) with general heavy duty bucket on it. and then a 3pt hitch rear blade on tractor at same time. FEL to get through larger drifts, and rear blade angled.

on other hand if you had cash to get a snow blower. more so a front mounted snow blower for tractor it would be a toss up. though issue of having the ice and snow and water coming back onto me regardless of skidsteer or tractor is a very cold problem. or less tractor was a cabbed version. or you had some sort of plastic shield or something that was between you in skidsteer and the front mounted snow blower.

though for some folks with long drives it might be cheaper and easier to just buy a fullsize pickup truck with full hyd plow on the front of it. just for use of snow removal. perhaps use for getting lumber and like from a local hardware stores / wholesale stores.

==================
if you gave a better description of what you are wanting to do / need to do. folks might be able to point ya in a better direction.

/ Skidsteer vs Compact tractor #8  
Very good question. I have plowed with both and I saw better results in the skid steer. CTL's are terrible, rubber tracks become skis on wet snow and ice. However tires with chains on a skid steer are the cats meow. My Deere skid steer has a great weight ratio, 40% in the front and 60% in the back, compare that to a compact tractor where the weight is usually key in the rear but typically is more like 70% in the front and 30% in the back w/no ballast. As a comparison, i have used both a 40 hp JD tractor and a 40 hp Bobcat skid steer to plow snow and the Bobcat got more done. The maneuverability of the skid steer is a huge advantage in the snow. Just my :2cents:

/ Skidsteer vs Compact tractor
Very good question. I have plowed with both and I saw better results in the skid steer. CTL's are terrible, rubber tracks become skis on wet snow and ice. However tires with chains on a skid steer are the cats meow. My Deere skid steer has a great weight ratio, 40% in the front and 60% in the back, compare that to a compact tractor where the weight is usually key in the rear but typically is more like 70% in the front and 30% in the back w/no ballast. As a comparison, i have used both a 40 hp JD tractor and a 40 hp Bobcat skid steer to plow snow and the Bobcat got more done. The maneuverability of the skid steer is a huge advantage in the snow. Just my :2cents:

That's what I was wanting to hear. I thought a ss had a better weight distribution than a tractor. Do you need chains most of the time on a ss? I never thought a CTL would be bad but it makes sense.

/ Skidsteer vs Compact tractor #10  
I don't think it's as simple as which can push more snow. Each has a place where it excels over the other. If I was going to be clearing a parking lot I probably would opt for the SS over a tractor. But for a driveway I would rather have a tractor. Attachments for tractors are usually cheaper and with a tractor you can have a plow or snow blower on the front and a pto driven sander on the rear. On wide open places like a parking lot it wouldn't matter but on a paved driveway where you'll be making tight turns and you need chains the skid steer will be more likely to cause damage. But since every driveway is different it's hard to make a general comparison.

Same weight and same tires, chances are they will push about the same amount of snow. Most likely the tractor will be lighter so it will have ballast in the rear to get the weight the same. That'll mean the weight distribution would be close to the SS. About the only read advantage one would have over the other is the tractor will be two wheel drive (one front and one back) unless you push the diff lock then it'll be 3 wheel drive. The SS will be 4 wheel drive until you try to turn.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

John Deere 5220 (A33526)
John Deere 5220...
Pallet of (11) 5-Ton & 3-Ton Beam Clamps (A33349)
Pallet of (11)...
Danuser F-8 Posthole Digger (A33041)
Danuser F-8...
Brillion  Cultipacker (A33041)
Brillion...
Case IH 900 Planter (A33041)
Case IH 900...
fork extension skid steer attachment (A32932)
fork extension...