Skunks! an Ode....

/ Skunks! an Ode.... #1  

CalG

Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
This fall has been a skunk revival in this area.

They do a job on the beetle larva in the lawn, evident by the rooting and holes, as they meander their way on to the compost bin behind the car park.
I've been fortunate, not more than a whiff of their presence this year. Seen them in the yard at night too often.... We have stopped planting sweet corn near the house though.
If they would not tear into the compost, and stay off the front stoop, I would not mind, but.....bright flash lights into the night darkness is a precaution. Spoils the night sky and the view of Milky Way.

Winter is near, No skunk in winter... ;-)

/ Skunks! an Ode.... #2  
I've seen 4 on my property since 2003. The first was in the pen with my turkeys and pullets, and I felt bad because after I shot him I realized that he was just hanging out with them. It turns out that he also was rabid...
The other three were all last year. The first was on my doorstep when I let the dog out one morning... Ruger jumped right over it on the way out the door and didn't even know it was there. A few weeks later he went after one under my shed and got a nice bath for his trouble... The last was rather strange. I had a dream that I saw a skunk crossing onto my property from my neighbor. The next morning I left the house and he was right where I"d seen him in my dream, except leaving my property, headed for the neighbor's side of the road.

/ Skunks! an Ode.... #3  
Skunks were also visiting digging there holes until I spread wood ashes.

/ Skunks! an Ode.... #4  
Not hide nor hair of any skunks since I quit burning my garbage about twenty years ago.

/ Skunks! an Ode.... #5  
Skunks haven't been bad around here this year. We have a bumper crop of squirrels now, I've never seen so many in my area. I'm finding corn cobs and stalks everywhere in my lawns and gardens. For a while we seemed overrun by rabbits, then wild turkeys, then coyotes,... interesting to watch the cycles, sometimes sad. One thing I miss are the spring peepers, and birds are nowhere near the numbers we used to have. A quiet spring and summer.

/ Skunks! an Ode.... #6  
I have one here that eats the cat food.... skunk2.JPG

/ Skunks! an Ode.... #7  
A lot of skunks here the last 2 years after many years of only occasionally seeing them, or their holes. I'm helping/hoping their population will get back to previous levels.