Sleep apnea, CPAPs and other sleep health solutions.

/ Sleep apnea, CPAPs and other sleep health solutions. #1  

Gale Hawkins

Super Star Member
Tractor
1948 Allis Chambers Model B 1976 265 MF / 1983 JD 310B Backhoe / 1966 Ford 3000 Diesel / 1980 3600 Diesel
After 18 years of used CPAP use to prevent complaints about my snoring I did a formal at home sleep study. Yesterday picked up my first non used machine. It is an easy to set up ResMed AirSense 10. Do far I'm very impressed .

I noticed of recent most CPAP posts were mentioned in the good morning thread so I decided to break out one here since I did not find one in my search.

My official sleep study showed that I had severe sleep apnea. It runs in the family and I'm certain my father died at 72 because of his was untreated as well as his extremely high blood pressure over many years. Congestive heart failure and dementia was his demise.

I used eBay to find my first CPAP machine and then local ads Craigslist and the like because there is a large source of used CPAP machines out there because most of them wind up in the closet. 18 years ago doing a sleep study could be a pain and you had to go some where to do it but today with it in home testing equipment so it is much easier and cheaper.

/ Sleep apnea, CPAPs and other sleep health solutions. #2  
My Sleep Study was a total and complete farce. I told them when making the appointment that I was there for one night only and to do everything they needed to do. They agreed. Did the sleep study and don't feel that I slept much at all but I registered all sorts of bad things: snoring, leg movements and even stopped breathing a few times. Ha! Of course, they wanted a follow-up study to double check the first study. I walked out the door...

I enjoy my sleep to much to be tied to a machine. Yep, I snore and the like but I always wake up in the morning (or have for the past 70 years). I feel rested when I wake up and never have an afternoon nap.

I plan on living until I die.

/ Sleep apnea, CPAPs and other sleep health solutions.
This was the kind of stories I was hearing from family members 18 years ago and I had a lack of time lack of funds so I just trained myself and obviously I needed it but dementia and stroke and heart attack are the side effects of untreated sleep apnea and I've already invited people to my 110th birthday party I'd be embarrassed to death not to show up.

/ Sleep apnea, CPAPs and other sleep health solutions. #4  
I'm using my ResMed 9, from my wife extreme snoring from a sleep study extreme sleep apnea, from my cardiologist
sleep apneas can cause afib. It is a nightmare at times trying to find a mask and a sleeping position that doesn't cause leaks and noises.
All my doctors are harping on me to use the damned thing :cry:

/ Sleep apnea, CPAPs and other sleep health solutions. #5  
My Sleep Study was a total and complete farce. I told them when making the appointment that I was there for one night only and to do everything they needed to do. They agreed. Did the sleep study and don't feel that I slept much at all but I registered all sorts of bad things: snoring, leg movements and even stopped breathing a few times. Ha! Of course, they wanted a follow-up study to double check the first study. I walked out the door...

I enjoy my sleep to much to be tied to a machine. Yep, I snore and the like but I always wake up in the morning (or have for the past 70 years). I feel rested when I wake up and never have an afternoon nap.

I plan on living until I die.
You are typical of those who deny they have a problem. There are many threads on this and other forums around the world with similar people to you all saying the same thing.

Stopping breathing can be fatal. Do you believe that? If you actually stop breathing long enough it is fatal. Alternatively, every time you stop breathing for just a few seconds (which everybody with apnoea does) then you put a strain on your heart. Eventually this would also cause you to expire. There are also many posters telling those of your sort how stupid you are to ignore it. I will not say you are stupid because that is an insult. All I would say is I think you have made the wrong choice.

I have used a CPAP machine for almost 30 years - everything provided under the UK health system free of charge, with the exception that I bought a ResMed S6 in 2002 before moving out of the UK, and I decided to keep it when I moved back last year. I can have a free modern replacement anytime I want. Wearing it is not a problem, and my wife appreciated it from the first night I stopped snoring, as did other people on odd occasions. There was once a complaint from someone 3 doors along the corridor in a hotel.

Just the same as everybody else, you will wake up in the morning until the day you do not. Failing to accept you have a problem means that morning will come sooner than it needs to. If you want that to happen, that is your choice. If you want to live longer then use a CPAP machine. Your choice. Me, I want to live a long time.

/ Sleep apnea, CPAPs and other sleep health solutions. #6  
I get my machines from a place called secondwindcpap
They get machines back, many new in box for a few hundred dollars instead of a few thousand.
I am on my second machine from them, costs less than my medical deductible.

/ Sleep apnea, CPAPs and other sleep health solutions. #7  
I did an in home study 4 yrs ago . was having some 6o plus events a night, I have the dream station 2 and for the most part sleep very well and dont snore at all. My wife loves it.

/ Sleep apnea, CPAPs and other sleep health solutions. #8  
Be careful with used or returned Philips. They are suppose to be recalling them but they are not.
They told me not to use my Bipap machine because it could damage my health.
Remember well the sleep study with all the wires attached.
Feel so much better using mine.

/ Sleep apnea, CPAPs and other sleep health solutions. #9  
Meant to include this link.

/ Sleep apnea, CPAPs and other sleep health solutions.
It was just yesterday when I learned that cleaning with ozone breaks down the foam and can do that in any machine so I've never used ozone but it seems to mess things up.