Slime in Trailer Tires

/ Slime in Trailer Tires #1  

dlroy101

Bronze Member
What's the general opinion on putting Slime in trailer tires? I have a spare for my trailer, but thought Slime might not be such a bad idea to stop a leak rather than having to do a side of the road change of a flat if that were to happen. What does everyone think? I'd still carry the spare with me.

Darrell

/ Slime in Trailer Tires #2  
I am slowly adding Slime to everything I own, except the cars and trucks. I know tire repair shops hate the stuff, but, if you use it, you may not ever have to have the tire serviced. It has stopped slow leaks in my LGT tires, and many of my trailers and implements.

/ Slime in Trailer Tires #3  
dlroy101 said:
What's the general opinion on putting Slime in trailer tires? I have a spare for my trailer, but thought Slime might not be such a bad idea to stop a leak rather than having to do a side of the road change of a flat if that were to happen. What does everyone think? I'd still carry the spare with me.

Darrell

I'm not sure how it would do in a spare. I was under the impression the tire/wheel needed to rotate to keep the SLIME spread throughout the tire.

/ Slime in Trailer Tires
The Slime would be in the tires that are on the trailer now, so that I might not have to use the spare. Sorry for the confusion.

Darrell

/ Slime in Trailer Tires #5  
dlroy101 said:
The Slime would be in the tires that are on the trailer now, so that I might not have to use the spare. Sorry for the confusion.

Darrell

My mistake. I re-read your original post. Better brush up on my reading skills. ;)

After changing a couple tires with Slime and one with Fix-A-Flat, I don't like the stuff. BUT... Lots of people swear by it. I just swear AT it.

Anything that keeps you ON the road and OFF the roadSIDE couldn't be all bad though.

/ Slime in Trailer Tires #6  
I may be wrong... But I don't think slime is for hi-way speed tires , Only low speed 4 wheeler or lawn tractor speeds as it would through the tire way out of balance....??? Anybody know different... Fix-a-flat is formulated for higher speed tires but only for emergency, Like the next gas station, I have used it and left it in but when plugging the tire afterwards the solution seams to cause the plug to have a slow leak overtime...so I don't use it anymore....Of course a patch is the correct way to fix a hole in the tread....

/ Slime in Trailer Tires #7  
Farmwithjunk said:
After changing a couple tires with Slime and one with Fix-A-Flat, I don't like the stuff. BUT... Lots of people swear by it. I just swear AT it.
If you're fixing them, maybe it's not that good after all?

/ Slime in Trailer Tires #8  
Fix a flat is also good to seal a small rim leak without having to remove the tire and clean the rim.You know the ones where the tire needs air every other day...

/ Slime in Trailer Tires #9  
I use it in my off road motorcycle tires which have tubes in them. The slime is supposed to seal a 1/8" puncture and the most common leak in my application is a "snake bite" where the tube gets pinched between the rim and the ground. So far so good, no flats since adding the stuff which may be coincidence.

I routinely run up to 60 mph and have no issues with vibration or instability. Most riding is in the 15-20 mph range. The stuff stays liquid so it spreads out inside the tire while underway.

/ Slime in Trailer Tires #10  
I would use it and have used it. Most trailer tires are not even balanced when put on (although I think they should be.) Once, I was on a trip and put it in the rear tire of my 200 goldwing that had a flat. No problems with balance. Those tires are very difficult to get off without a lift. I was going to get it fixed later, but never did. I was quoted $115 just to remove/replace the tire. I'll wait until I need a new tire now. I have not used it in cars or trucks.