Slip clutch on a snowblower PTO shaft?

/ Slip clutch on a snowblower PTO shaft? #1  

Piston

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4610 Hitachi UH083LC
I have slip clutches on many of my implements, but have only seen shear pins on snowblowers (granted, I don’t have extensive experience with them).

I need a replacement PTO shaft for my snowblower because the half that goes onto the tractor has gone missing.

It is a Weasler 35 series PTO shaft. Is there any reason I shouldn’t replace it with one equipped with a slip clutch?

Last edited:
   / Slip clutch on a snowblower PTO shaft? #2  
I would wonder about the clutch disc iceing up, I could see a working slip clutch being nice on a blower that pluged up, but the shear pin might be nicer on foreign object stoppage, instant power release and not being bound in and under load to try and get freed up.

/ Slip clutch on a snowblower PTO shaft? #3  
Many rear snowblowers already have a very short shaft. Adding a slip clutch will take more room making the shaft even shorter.

/ Slip clutch on a snowblower PTO shaft? #4  
I have slip clutches on many of my implements but have only seen shear pins on snowblowers (granted, I don’t have extensive experience with them).

I need a replacement PTO shaft for my snowblower because the half that goes onto the tractor has gone missing.

It is a Weasler 35 series PTO shaft. Is there any reason I shouldn’t replace it with one equipped with a slip clutch?
Replacing it with a slip clutch would cause you more grief than benefits because it would
clog more as you advance in deep heavy snowpack that has gone through freeze thaw cycle.

The other thing is that if it clogs and you shut the tractor and PTO off to get out and clear the
clog the potential for getting injured from the stored energy in the slip clutch will be there as well.

Perhaps the Euro Cardan PTO shaft is a better answer for this snow blower with its heavier use cycles?

/ Slip clutch on a snowblower PTO shaft? #5  
The snow blower I have, a Frontier (Deere) brand, has 2 shear pins. As long as you use the proper grade shear pins, I don't see any good reason to add a slip clutch.