Slip clutch - shear pin ?

/ Slip clutch - shear pin ? #41  
Sometimes, I acknowledge my explanations fail to make a point clearly as can happen when you know a subject well.
My comments had nothing to do with the performance attributes of slip clutches compared to shear pins.
I was trying to convey that the slip clutches I have seen result in a shorter pto shaft which then increases the joint angles with the consequent reduction in joint life.
I will say it again, I have the utmost respect for those with a wealth of varied, real world experience. It is an engineer like me who is responsible for the Takata air bag recall! In Canada we wear an iron ring on our dominant hand little finger to remind us of a bridge collapse in Quebec city resulting from poor engineering.
Dave M7040

Dave we all have shortcomings. Success in dealing with them is first recognizing them. Then there's me,,,, mine are splattered all over everything I do. :)

/ Slip clutch - shear pin ? #42  
Sometimes, I acknowledge my explanations fail to make a point clearly as can happen when you know a subject well.
My comments had nothing to do with the performance attributes of slip clutches compared to shear pins.
I was trying to convey that the slip clutches I have seen result in a shorter pto shaft which then increases the joint angles with the consequent reduction in joint life.
I will say it again, I have the utmost respect for those with a wealth of varied, real world experience. It is an engineer like me who is responsible for the Takata air bag recall! In Canada we wear an iron ring on our dominant hand little finger to remind us of a bridge collapse in Quebec city resulting from poor engineering.
Dave M7040

Dave, I just had to smile, my uncle who was like my brother was a mechanical engineer as well as electrical engineer, so I recognize the "symptoms" now. :)

Having had a long relationship with and enormous respect for like minded individual, I will say to you what I said to him, "yes, I understand in theory what you are saying, it is just not particularly important to my application, use etc."

I will paraphrase one of your initial posts, "use of a slip clutch vs shear pin dramatically shorten their life", had you remained with your very first essentially saying it would decrease length and increase wear, there would be no confusion thus the Yogi Barra reference.

For many if not most of us, the degree of increased wear will be negligible and thus of no consequence in our decision making process.

Agreed, no offense taken or meant as I have a great fondness and respect for engineers.

/ Slip clutch - shear pin ? #43  
I have a great fondness and respect for engineers.

I just wish they could get it "right" the first time so we didn't have to do all these modifications.... ;) ;) ;) :D

/ Slip clutch - shear pin ? #44  
I just wish they could get it "right" the first time so we didn't have to do all these modifications.... ;) ;) ;) :D

Think of the work for all the mechanics who will be replacing airbags for years to come. Think of the engineering mistake as a form of economic stimulation :)

Try not think of the poor souls who were injured or killed by defective air bags.

Dave M7040

/ Slip clutch - shear pin ? #45  
Think of the work for all the mechanics who will be replacing airbags for years to come. Think of the engineering mistake as a form of economic stimulation :) Try not think of the poor souls who were injured or killed by defective air bags. Dave M7040
I heard a few days ago that the replacement bags were bad too and now they have to replace 2 million of those.

/ Slip clutch - shear pin ? #46  
Dave, I think few are doubting the validity of the theory, just its implication to "real world experience". Your statements or the manufacturer's blanket statement that a slip clutch will dramatically reduce service life just isn't lining up with the real world experience of long term longevity of slip clutch equipped drive-lines.

I can accept increased angle can increase wear, but the extent and real life implications are a bit harder to buy into. My experience with slip clutches has been favorable with negligible difference in wear, so my preference will remain with them, I use them on SCUT, CUT, UT and Ag.

As always, results may vary.

Well said.
I agree.