/ Slopes - Minimum Tread Setting GC1723 #1  

cetrac29

Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1723E
I have a GC1723 sub-compact w/ FL1805 loader and the loader manual has this section about "minimum tread setting" which is defined as the rear tire separation measured from center to center of the rear tires. The requirement per that manual is 62" based, but my rear tires are only about 33.25" apart. Question: Am I reading this wrong or is this manual essentially saying that for my small tractor, the factory GC1723 configuration doesn't come close to meeting the FL1805 safety requirements for a 15 degree static stability and there is really no way of meeting that 62" requirement unless you run dual wheels?

Attachments

• massey tread.jpg
    massey tread.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 53
   / Slopes - Minimum Tread Setting GC1723 #2  
THE manual for my GC1715 reads the same as you picture..... No way can rear width match number stated in manual..... BUT I did add 3 inch (Brotek) spacers on rear and it really did help stability really well....

Last edited:
   / Slopes - Minimum Tread Setting GC1723
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like this wording in the manual is as straightforward as it seems to be. I added 2" spacers to mine and can feel the difference on slight inclines. I'm at 37.25" now, but 62" just isn't realistic.

/ Slopes - Minimum Tread Setting GC1723 #4  
Made me look as well, event with spacers you could never achieve that width. Seems to me that something is not right. I also have 2" spacers.

/ Slopes - Minimum Tread Setting GC1723 #5  
Hmmmm....wonder what that would look like in a picture, at 62" 🤣

UPDATE: I received a reply from Vahrenberg Implement pointing out that this manual is also for the FL2106 loader used on the MF1526 compact tractor which has a minimum wheel spacing of about 55in. It would seem that this spec is geared for that combination and not for the FL1805 and GC1700 combination. What is the spec for the GC scenario? That is still TBD.

/ Slopes - Minimum Tread Setting GC1723 #7  
UPDATE: I received a reply from Vahrenberg Implement pointing out that this manual is also for the FL2106 loader used on the MF1526 compact tractor which has a minimum wheel spacing of about 55in. It would seem that this spec is geared for that combination and not for the FL1805 and GC1700 combination. What is the spec for the GC scenario? That is still TBD.

And read you manual more... Same irrational mumbling's on how to determine how much ballast weight one should use on rear when using FEL for heavy lifting.... Seems technical writers for manuals have no clue as to how things are engineered or used in real world....

And shop manuals have no mention of hydraulics for GC 1710 and CG 1720 for backhoe, but quite good for FEL....

/ Slopes - Minimum Tread Setting GC1723 #8  
I would guess that you are correct that there is ‘no (realistic) way to meet the standard’, but i would say that is fairly normal and not alarming.

You have to keep in mind anything about safety standards is written very precisely based on a set of rules called CYA. They have to be written in such a way that they’re almost stupid-proof. They have to be stringent enough to give ‘plausible deniability’ that if something DID go wrong, it’s not because the instructions were not strict or thorough enough!

With that in mind everything on paper is going to seem somewhat excessive to people who are used to protecting themselves physically, with common sense, rather than protecting themselves legally, with technical writing.

You already did spacers, therefore youve got some awareness of the issues. Maybe you have a LOT, maybe more than me, who knows. But based on the fact that you read the manual, added spacers, and asked for guidance on a tractor forum you’re already ‘one of the good ones’ and i think you can pretty much ignore that particular spec and just continue using your own good judgment, informed by the opinions of people with relevant experience such as here on TBN, to do what you think is best for your safety. My .02

I know what you mean, but the FL manual also has a catch all statement that actually seems reasonable. "...when the loader is used in a dedicated situation, the operator may determine the appropriate ballast, based on the maximum load to be carried." That makes sense to me. The gross vehicle reaction calculation they talk about for determining counterweight requirements...well, I don't even know what they mean, lol.

/ Slopes - Minimum Tread Setting GC1723 #10  
The gross vehicle reaction calculation they talk about for determining counterweight requirements...well, I don't even know what they mean, lol.
1668875818234.jpeg

Lots of people don’t realize it but this is actually a pic of a lady using a front end loader safely. 👍😂