Sloppy 3-Point Bottom Links - What to Do? (video)

/ Sloppy 3-Point Bottom Links - What to Do? (video) #1  

Argonne

Gold Member
Tractor
JD2210, Ford 4400, Case IH 685, Terramite T7, JD 6x4 M-Gator
Both bottom links on my Case IH 685 are very sloppy and I'd like to fix them. I pulled one to inspect it, and was dismayed to see that there does not seem to be a retainer clip holding in the ball, and it appears that the entire arm was manufactured as an assembly with the links not being replaceable. This suspicion is borne out by the parts breakdown not showing numbers for the balls. More disturbing is that there is no part number listed for the arm (item 2) which I suspect means that no amount of money can get ne a new one (not that I'd be likely to spend that much anyway).

Anyway, what are my choices here for fixing them? Parts breakdown and video follow.

download (2).pngCase IH 685 Bottom Link - YouTube

/ Sloppy 3-Point Bottom Links - What to Do? (video) #2  

Attachments

• 0087773_weld-on-ball-end-78.jpeg
    0087773_weld-on-ball-end-78.jpeg
    9.4 KB · Views: 93
   / Sloppy 3-Point Bottom Links - What to Do? (video)
There are weld on ends available for cases like this.

Geeze, I've seen them a hundred times and still didn't make the connection. $20 each at Tractor Supply. Thank you very much!

/ Sloppy 3-Point Bottom Links - What to Do? (video) #4  
I replaced the entire arms on my MF 135 a few years ago due to the worn out balls falling out and one arm being bent. Weld on ones are certainly the less expensive option. A&I was the manufacturer/distributor of them. IIRC $125 each. Cat I ball on implement end and CAT II on axle side, was an odd one we found. My dad got his use out of it with 5000+ hours since he bought it new in 1975.

/ Sloppy 3-Point Bottom Links - What to Do? (video) #5  
It used to be quite common for the tractor lift arms to be cat 1 on one end and cat 2 on the other,
with the cat 1 to the front and mounted you had the cat2 for implements.
Then if desired you could put the cat 2 forward with a bushing and have cat 1 lift arms for your implements.

/ Sloppy 3-Point Bottom Links - What to Do? (video) #6  
That is interesting, and such a simple solution.

Mine are with CAT II pins coming out of the differential case sides so not sure how that would work. Apparently MF made some 135s with CAT I on both ends that almost messed me me when ordering. Different lengths too.