Small Batch of Fuel

/ Small Batch of Fuel #1  

mjarrels

Elite Member
Tractor
1949 farmall, 1961 Fordson Dexta, 1986 Duetz Allis, 2001 Kubota.
I just dumped about half a gallon of chainsaw mix that was about two years old. I need to do about 10 minutes of chainsaw work and don't want to mix up another gallon that I will never use for probably two more years. Think I can safely mix about a pint just eye balling the oil I will need?

mark

/ Small Batch of Fuel #2  
Depends on your eyeball I guess. :D I would just mix up a gallon and put the unused part in my old tractor. But, I won't suggest you do the same. Just saying that's how I make use of it. Some people don't like the idea in newer equipment.

/ Small Batch of Fuel #3  
I keep a "Ratio Right" mix cup from my 2-stroke dirt bike days. It has scales to help you mix correctly for various ratios and quantities of gas.

/ Small Batch of Fuel #5  
I just dumped about half a gallon of chainsaw mix that was about two years old. I need to do about 10 minutes of chainsaw work and don't want to mix up another gallon that I will never use for probably two more years. Think I can safely mix about a pint just eye balling the oil I will need?

mark

Sure, you can do it. :thumbsup: Just give it a bit of thought. ;) It is a shame to mix up a larger batch and them only use a little bit of it.

/ Small Batch of Fuel #6  
Ace hardware sells pre-mix gas and oil. Comes in quart's at various oil mix ratios. It may be available in pints.

I don't remember the exact cost, but I don't remember it being pricey if you need a small amount. I go through a lot of 2-stoke mix, so I never bought or tried it.

It's hassle free, so it might be worth it.

/ Small Batch of Fuel
BIL just did some chainsaw work a couple weeks ago... He might have some left to fill my tank half full.

mark

/ Small Batch of Fuel #9  
At $3 a gallon (couple cups of coffee) for gas? I wouldn't dwell on it too long. :D

/ Small Batch of Fuel #10  
Smallest batch I ever mix is one gallon, 2.5 if I've got bunch to do. If you've got less than a tankful of cutting, is it really worth even breakin' out the saw? Sure your saw is going to go after more than two years gathering dust? Sorry, don't mean to sound like I'm trolling, just that I have over 20 saws and the ones that give me fits are the ones that sit too long. I try to rotate use so that each gets a few hours every now and again. You can mix a pint or whatever amount you wish, just use a small measuring cup to ensure the proper amount of oil. I'd personally never occular-estimate 2smoke mixture in my saws, but that's just me.

The canned fuel is another option, as long as the oil used has the right rating. Any extra mixed fuel can be burned up in older or simple 4 banger just fine (like a lawnmower). I personally wouldn't put it through a FI motor though.

Oh, do your saw a favor and run it once in a while. It's good for it and fun too.....;)