Small Goat Barn Question

/ Small Goat Barn Question #11  
Eddie, what’s your current water line setup to the barn?

Up here in the frozen north (well not today), I’ve seen people deal with an above ground water line by putting a tee in the line at the warm spot source (basement) and installing an air hose connection to it.
When done running water they used air compressor to blow out the line.
They got really fancy and put 2 solenoid valves (1 in water source, 1 in air source) in the basement before the tee and controlled them from a 3 position switch in the barn.
Here, we just disconnect and (slowly) drain a garden hose each time. Draining it quick will leave water in it that will freeze.

/ Small Goat Barn Question
Thank you for all the great feedback! I am planning to put the feed in sealed metal trash cans and store them in the same small barn. My design includes what amounts to a hay loft that can store hay and feed cans 7' above the ground.

/ Small Goat Barn Question #13  
We tried metal cans for feed and realized that the feed at the bottom never got used, and over time, it would start to rot. If you go with the metal cans, be sure to empty it completely before filling it again.

When I build my Goat Barn addition to my current barn, I am going to figure out a way to dump the sacks of feed into a silo type thing that I can fill a coffee can up by opening a handle and the feed comes out the bottom. I've seen a few for sale that might work, but I wont get into buying or making it until I'm ready for it.

My water line is half inch PEX that's about 2 feet in the ground. It's fine. My issue is that when I built the barn, I wasn't sure where to put the spicket. We decided to put it on the side of the barn kind of central to where the animals are all around it. This was a bad idea. Since building the barn, we've fenced off feeding areas to keep horses and goats apart from each other, and also allow the chickens to have their area so the horses and goats don't eat their food. Everyone steals from everyone else.

Being that I have this plan to add on, I haven't fixed the water issue. Instead, we have a hose that goes to the horse water trough, and a hose that goes to the back chicken coop. Both freeze solid. Both hoses are on a three way split from the single spicket. That freezes too. The PEX in the wall is sealed in closed cell foam, so it's probably fine, but where it comes through the wall, it freezes solid.

I need to have a spicket inside the feed room, and when I add on, there will be frost free spickets at each area of the barn for the different types of animals. I'm also thinking that I need a way to have a generator in the barn just to keep the heaters doing for their water when we lose power. It will probably just be a shelf to put it so the exhaust goes outside, it it's inside from the elements, and all the wiring is in place to just start the generator, plug it in, and know that their drinking water will not freeze solid.

When we had that big freeze two weeks ago, I was carrying water out to the barn in a bucket and breaking out the ice that had formed in their water bowls before putting more water in their. I did this twice a day for the chickens. I had one heater in the tank for the horses and goats, which was all the extra power I had from my generator that was also keeping the lights on in my house and our cell phones charged.

It's going to be 77 degrees today, so it's hard to think about water freezing issues right now. But it will be something that I will address before winter hits again next year!!!

/ Small Goat Barn Question #14  
Might want to rethink your feed storage. With goats, the feed/hay needs to be behind a locked door in a completely enclosed room. As in almost waterproof. Don't think that just a lid, even tied on a trashcan, will keep a goat out, or a door with a normal latch. One trick I used for goats and mice is to get a old chest freezer.Put the trash can in it, use one bag completely before adding more. I stored other stuff in there also, dry, no sun, cheap storage. Just like goats can get out of most fences, they can get into much more than you can imagine.