Small improvement for L3400

/ Small improvement for L3400 #11  
To the original poster, I think with the addition of the voltmeter and the parking brake switch, you have made some really useful additions to your tractor. Good work. I added the voltmeter to my Kioti, it already had a parking brake reminder lamp. The voltmeter is very handy.

/ Small improvement for L3400 #13  
   / Small improvement for L3400
Hey Oldpath05- not sure if waterproof is essential- the switch I had probably isn't, but where it's mounted it's mostly shielded from rain and snow. And, I my case, I try to avoid rain on my tractor. Snow, if we ever get any again, would be another thing altogether. But I have a couple of those switches, so worse case, I replace it. The indicator light I used looks just like the truck marker light that was linked- can't remember why I even had one, but I did.
As for the horn, I've been thinking I might stick a spare horn on mine with a momentary push switch on the dash. Be easy, and there are rare times I could use it. I've replaced OEM Japanese car horns with louder, more manly horns, and the old ones could be re-purposed. Might not even need a relay- just 16 gage wire.

And yes, the voltmeter is handy- tell you a lot about the battery and charging system at a glance. I've got another one that plugs into cigarette lighter outlets in vehicles which I can use if I suspect something. Though I guess they aren't called cigarette lighter outlets anymore.

/ Small improvement for L3400 #16  
I know HST is a little different but still not quite sure where exactly you put that switch. My first picture is brake off, the rest are brake on.
IMG-5939.JPG

InkedIMG-5941_LI.jpg IMG-5941.JPG IMG-5940.JPG

I always use a multi-meter just to find live wires. A horn a tractor is good idea, I use to have one on my ATV 20 years ago, was a old Subaru horn, BEEP BEEP.............

/ Small improvement for L3400 #18  
The rod with red knob the parking brake engagement? Looks like you move it forward to lock the brakes?

Just spit balling here;

Under the center cover as you indicated would be a good place to mount a switch. The motorcycle switch would not well. The OP switch would. Switches are normally open (NO), normally closed (NC) or sometimes have both options.

A common truck plunger switch, NC (normally closed) would maybe work too. The truck brake pedal at rest pushes the switch plunger opening the circuit. Push the brake pedal switch closes and lights the brake light.

So a switch mounted under the center cover that the parking brake rod holds open when operating would work. Engage the parking brake would close the switch and light the warning light. The fun is getting the right switch in the right place. Not too hard but does require some innovative thinking.

On your kitchen table with a 9V battery, LED, switch and a little wire check out the operation circuit.

/ Small improvement for L3400 #19  
You drilled a small hole in that small brake lever,,,,, but the brake lever is already spring loaded.

The switch spring is simply the linkage that connects the switch to whatever, parking brake lever or pedal. Easy way to connect the two together to have “give” and have travel difference. The switch needs 1/4” pull to operate while the handle or pedal might move inches. If they were connected by solid linkage you could pull the switch apart.

With the pictures you sent probably not the style of switch best for your application. No worries as there are countless types of switches.

A plunger brake switch the parking brake handle engages when back or in the off position. Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS) when designing or modifying equipment.

Having to make stuff from junk parts and keep old equipment running on the farm growing up was the best education one could have.

/ Small improvement for L3400 #20  
The rod with red knob the parking brake engagement? Looks like you move it forward to lock the brakes?

Just spit balling here;

Under the center cover as you indicated would be a good place to mount a switch. The motorcycle switch would not well. The OP switch would. Switches are normally open (NO), normally closed (NC) or sometimes have both options.

A common truck plunger switch, NC (normally closed) would maybe work too. The truck brake pedal at rest pushes the switch plunger opening the circuit. Push the brake pedal switch closes and lights the brake light.

So a switch mounted under the center cover that the parking brake rod holds open when operating would work. Engage the parking brake would close the switch and light the warning light. The fun is getting the right switch in the right place. Not too hard but does require some innovative thinking.

On your kitchen table with a 9V battery, LED, switch and a little wire check out the operation circuit.
Yes the red button lever moves forward a little for brake lock. And yeah the fun of finding allusive right place, but it is hard and thinking hurts. I dont think theres 1/2" room under that cover, the only thinking I think thats going to happen is do more innovative thinking of where to put the switch or what switch, just want to avoid the expensive trial and error..........