Small Snowblower Recommendations

/ Small Snowblower Recommendations #1  

Gomez

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2400
I'm looking for a small snowblower for my mother. Any recommendations? Not too thrilled with the MTD I saw.

BTW- what's the difference between a snowblower and a snowthrower?

/ Small Snowblower Recommendations #2  
We bought a Cub Cadet 20" snowblower for my father-in-law last year for Christmas. He's 80 years young and still insists on doing his own driveway and sidewalks. Anyway, it was 5 hp, electric start, steel upper and lower engine and auger housing, an easily adjustable directional chute....and generally a nice machine. He think's it's the greatest thing sinced canned beer. Toro's are very good machines although a bit pricey. We also consider Ariens and Yard Man blowers, but the Cub Cadet dealer was close to where he lives and has a reputation for great customer service. I think the Cub Cadet was around $600, give or take a few dollars.

I'll share with you my understanding of snow blowers and throwers. Snow blowers will have the large auger in the main housing on the front of the machine and do literally blow the snow some distance. Sometimes the larger ones will have a two stage auger system with a smaller auger above the larger one to really blow the snow some distance. Snow throwers will generally have a drum with rubber paddles and only throw the snow a limited distance (maybe 8-10 ft?). Throwers are generally smaller and designed for sidewalks and small suburban driveways.

Bob Pence

/ Small Snowblower Recommendations #3  
If you want a really nice one, check out the Honda's..certainly not cheap, but they always start right up and last forever...I got an 8HP one with treads (instead of wheels), works great.

/ Small Snowblower Recommendations #4  
My understanding is that blowers ae 2 stage (auger and fan) and throwers are 1 stage (fast spinning auger only). Did you see the pickup truck mounted snowblower in northern tool? Goes on instead of a plow blade, has it's own engine and electric chute rotation. Looks COOL. I bet it would fit on my loader frame......